Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Massive Undetectable Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2017, 12:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Massive Undetectable Coolant Leak

I have an 02 Cavalier with a coolant leak I can't locate the source of.

​​​​​​​When I put water into the coolant reservoir, it quickly starts spilling out copiously somewhere near the firewall on the driver's side of the car. I tried to look at the water pump and hoses that lead from the reservoir, but I can't see any problem there.
​​​​​​​I also tried to buy a telescoping mirror to look around, but it's frustrating to use since it's so small and difficult to see anything on. Anyone have any ideas where I might look or.what else I could do?
​​​​
Edit: found source of leak in photo. I can't tell if something broke off or fluid is supposed to come out of the piece that connects the two hoses together. For that matter, what is this piece even called???

Last edited by Rodd1a5; October 7th, 2017 at 1:26 PM. Reason: found
Old October 25th, 2017, 6:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a lot of headaches and research I figured it out. The part is a y connector that branches off to a regulator near the rear of the car. The part # is 365yn and it can be found at the below link.

​​​​​​​https://carbturbo.com/product/nylon-water-y-connector-365-yn/

You'll have to lower the metal coolant line that the y connector branches out to in order to remove the hose that connects to the coolant line. To disconnect the hoses that connect to the other sides of the y connector, you'll have to drop the exhaust pipe so that you'll be able to use a tool to remove the clips.

​​​​​​​I had to use cable type hose clamp pliers to get the clamps loose. Good luck if you have to do this to; even with the right tools it's still a headache to do.

Last edited by Rodd1a5; October 25th, 2017 at 6:50 PM.