Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Cavalier (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/cavalier-12/)
-   -   From Mexican Gauge Cluster to American (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/cavalier-12/mexican-gauge-cluster-american-74125/)

neverquitedone August 22nd, 2015 10:32 AM

From Mexican Gauge Cluster to American

So I bought a 97 Cavalier for my first car. Awesome car, but I'm driving in Kph and it's even off by 5 km. I got a new gauge cluster with mph, tried to put it in, and my car wouldn't start. I guess it has something to do with the theft system, it doesn't recognize the gauge cluster. Anyways, is there a way to override this to be able to use an American cluster so I can drive in mph?

KChevy75 August 23rd, 2015 11:54 AM

I'm not sure why it's off by 5 km/h but you may want to look at a new gauge overlay in mph. If the only difference between the mph version you got and the km/h in the car in the overlay, you could swap them. If the needle location is different between the two, a custom overlay would need to be made. The odometer would still read km though.

To swap them, you'd probably need to visit the dealer.

Phillip123 August 23rd, 2015 12:50 PM

I think if you change the cluster you need to make it certified, otherwise its illegal if not documented.
You need to go to your dealer in order to get it certified.

tech2 August 23rd, 2015 5:47 PM

the dealer will have to program the ipc to your vin. they will also have to do a theft deterrent relearn so the car will start.
you could try the 30min theft deterrent relearn that does not require a scan tool.

there may be programming options or set up options the dealer can look for to that allow the conversion from kph to mph.

neverquitedone August 25th, 2015 4:47 AM

I can go to any dealer right? Because I bought my car from this guy off craigslist. I don't know if they'll even give me the time of day though since my cars not worth anything at all and it would probably cost more than the car is worth to work on it. I have to replace the whole underbelly of my car due to rust problems.

tech2 August 25th, 2015 8:07 AM

any dealer can perform a theft deterrent relearn procedure that will allow the car to start. the programming cost will be approx. 1 hour labour time. there will be additional charges is they have to remove and replace the cluster. Phone and get a quote.

the speedometer inaccuracy could be due to a change of tire or rim size.

odometer correction in my country just has the mileage correction tag recorded on a sticker; this is placed on the b-pillar. the dealer will not be able to change the accumulated mileage already set in the cluster.

tech2 August 25th, 2015 8:12 AM

Originally Posted by tech2 (Post 307344)
there may be programming options or set up options the dealer can look for to that allow the conversion from kph to mph.

this cannot be done