Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

My 03 Cavy

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2007, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 03 Cavy

I have a 03 Cavy with 2.2 ecotec No problems to date. Now when I come to a stop or a big slow down when I take off it chuggs-sputters. If I just slowly press gas it does ok, if pressed harder I have that problem. I put a new fuel filter on it today and did not help.
Old November 19th, 2007, 8:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: My 03 Cavy

Its most likely a misfire in one of the cylinders. I would change the plugs and wires, and if the problem is still happening, clean the carbon off the connections that are on the distributer.
Old November 19th, 2007, 10:43 PM
CF Beginner

I have bosch plat + 4 plugs with about 25000 miles, but I will check anyway I have a coil pack, no dist. wires are made into a piece that bolts down in center of top of valve cover, could that cause missfire/spudder. Isn't that the coil pack
Old November 20th, 2007, 9:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Well if its a coil pack, you should still be able to unplug the wires from it. The coil pack should have numbers on it, but incase it doesnt remember where the wires were.
Old November 20th, 2007, 10:00 PM
CF Beginner

Are you getting a Check Engine Light (CEL)? If you have a misfire or malfunctioning injector your computer should have a code stored. Several auto parts houses (AutoZone, for example) can readOBD IIcodes and will usually do so at no cost. If you do have a code they can tell you what to look for, if you have no stored codes and continue to have difficulty accelerating have your MAF sensor (in the intake) checked or try oneoff ofthe same model Cavy in a wrecking/Salvage yard to see if that is your problem.
Old November 28th, 2007, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for reds and ruffrider's advice. tryed all you guys said and seemed to help a little, but turned out to be a coil pack. car is running great now. again thanks for all your advice magnaflow exhaust + bosch plat +4 plugs + poweraid throttle body spacer and a k&n typhoon cold air intake and now a borg-warner coil pack. My little 5 speed Cavy is takin names in Kaufman now better than even before. Next step is a header and super chip. Thanks for all the help, I am sure I will be back.