Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

starter or something else?

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2017, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default starter or something else?

When i got in my car tonight for work and put the key in and turned it to start it would not turn over. It would not do anything. All lights on instrument panel were lighting up, radio, wipers, headlamps all worked. Didn't see any dimming. Also no clicking or grinding noise that you would typically hear with dead or low battery. I had no indications of a weak battery or starter problems of any kind. I turned the key off and on a few more times then finally it cranked just fine and started. it was not weak when it turned over. Could this be the starter or something else? I replace ignition switch about 2 weeks ago but reprogrammed it and it's been fine. It relearned just fine and the security light never came on after relearning. I did check that light while this was happening but it was off. Also it is my understanding that the car would still crank even if it was a security issue but just would not start up. What's going on here? It's a 2002 cavalier, 152,000 miles on it.
Old November 10th, 2017, 6:26 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be the starter, starter solenoid or a wiring issue. Is this the original starter in the car? You may want to pull the starter out and take it to a shop to have it tested. The NAPA store I use can run a bench test on the starter and tell you if it's good or bad. If you go this route, check the wiring to the solenoid for problems as you disassemble it.
Old November 10th, 2017, 12:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be a bad connection in your new ignition that's not catching until you position the key a certain way. What was the reason for changing it in the first place. If your car was stolen that could cause problems.
Old November 10th, 2017, 6:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SBchevyfan, yes original starter. Bruce Cook, replaced the ignition cylinder because the original one fell apart inside the sleeve. Wasn't broken into and nothing is mangled up. The cover that holds the tumblers in came off and jammed in the sleeve. Couldn't shut the key off. So i replaced it with a new one. I used the keys that came with the new one but couldn't get the car to learn the new code and the security light would not shut off but the car would run. I later found out that you need the original factory key so i changed the new cylinder to work with the factory key and then it learned the new code with no problems. Light is currently not on and never came on at all since i relearned it. When this happened the car didn't do anything, like the battery was disconnected and you were turning the key. I think the car should still crank even if it was a security code.