Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Strange short

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2010, 5:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Solved] 1999 Cavalier - Strange short

I just had the recall done on my 99 2.2L Cavalier for the ignition (installed relay). After the recall, power in the car sometimes cuts when I turn the key to the on position. I took it to the dealer to have them take a look at it as it was right after I picked the car up from the recall and they said that they couldn't reproduce the problem. It's been about a week and I havent driven it much (although it has been known to work). I just tried it again today and, sure enough, putting the key to the on position cuts the power. I put the key to the "off" position, slammed my door, and turned it back on and the car barely started, but now starts consistently (and will probably continue doing so for at least a couple of days like before).

I'd like to take it back to the dealer, and I may as this is something directly related to the work they did, but I'd really like to not wait a week without my car. Is there something I can check? I'm pretty handy with electronics, so I could fix it if I knew the possible culprits. I'm really confused that it only happens in the "on" position.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by maddjakkal; October 27th, 2010 at 6:01 PM. Reason: (SOLVED) Bad Battery Connection