Chevelle & El Camino This section is intended to cover Chevelle, El Camino, and other GM A or G-Body RWD not otherwise covered

350 sbc break in

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2018, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 sbc break in

Hello all, here's the current situation; i recently pulled my car out of storage and before storing it i broke in the camshaft. that was three years ago and dumb me put in amsoil zrod synthetic with zinc additives.
i was just wondering if i should continue to use synthetic oil now or if i should switch to break in oil for a bit? oil pressure is good and it seems to be running fine.
Old August 4th, 2018, 6:04 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by chevellemalibu70
Hello all, here's the current situation; i recently pulled my car out of storage and before storing it i broke in the camshaft. that was three years ago and dumb me put in amsoil zrod synthetic with zinc additives.
i was just wondering if i should continue to use synthetic oil now or if i should switch to break in oil for a bit? oil pressure is good and it seems to be running fine.
Depending on the particular oil, it does have a sitting time limit, if it has some miles on the oil and depending on how the vehicle is stored. As for your camshaft I wouldn't worry. Its the piston/rings and cyclider walls that need to be properly broken in, but that doesnt need a "break in" oil, just regular motor oil will work fine.

Back in the day, I had a friend who had his 327 cubic inch mill rebuilt on his Chevelle. The idiot put STP in the new oil and the rings wouldnt break-in and seal the pistons and cylinder walls
Old August 4th, 2018, 7:08 AM
CF Beginner

So you think it'll be fine if I switch out now?
Old August 22nd, 2018, 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

It is hard to say on these older cars. I had an 85 Suburban that the cam lobe to drive the fuel pump wore off. Everyone said that it was due to the lack of additives in the oil that now contaminate a catalytic converter. However, the thing was 25+ years old when I got rid of it.

I have also been told that the best oil is the one that you change regularly.