Chevelle & El Camino This section is intended to cover Chevelle, El Camino, and other GM A or G-Body RWD not otherwise covered

El Camino rear end

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2018, 9:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default El Camino rear end

Hi fellas.
my dad's asked me for help on one of his vehicles. He's getting too old to be wrenching much anymore, but he wants to swap the rear end.
It's an Opel GT with a GM 305 swapped. The rear end is locked with a spool and doesn't like to do anything but go in a straight line. All he told me Is It's a 10bolt diff with shortened axles and it's out of an El Camino originally. I'm not familiar with Chevy stuff but from the info I've found I think it's a 7.5".
He wants a LSD diff. We want to reuse the axles as they fit the car. I understand they are probably 26 spline.
What vehicles should I be checking out to find a LSD replacement?
Thanks,
Steve

Old October 19th, 2018, 12:22 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveJH
Hi fellas.
my dad's asked me for help on one of his vehicles. He's getting too old to be wrenching much anymore, but he wants to swap the rear end.
It's an Opel GT with a GM 305 swapped. The rear end is locked with a spool and doesn't like to do anything but go in a straight line. All he told me Is It's a 10bolt diff with shortened axles and it's out of an El Camino originally. I'm not familiar with Chevy stuff but from the info I've found I think it's a 7.5".
He wants a LSD diff. We want to reuse the axles as they fit the car. I understand they are probably 26 spline.
What vehicles should I be checking out to find a LSD replacement?
Thanks,
Steve
LSD diffs are not really common.Might be able to find one off a 4th gen Camaro.