Notices
Classic Trucks (Prior to 1987) Section for all discussion related to the Classic Chevrolet and GMC trucks prior to 1987.

What to look for before buying? 86 K10

Old January 5th, 2019, 10:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for before buying? 86 K10

Hey everyone, new guy here.

I'm looking at an 86 k10 step side with a 350 automatic for sale. I figure you guys would be the ones to ask about what I should look for before making an offer. I found it online and it is about a 3.5 hours drive away. Seller states it "runs good with over $3000 invested in the engine. New paint, tires and fuel pump".

My question is, what sort of things should I be looking for? Any known issues to look out for? Specific questions you think I should ask? Anything else I should expect owning one of these.

This would be my first classic vehicle. I don't need this to be a full on daily driver but am hoping for this to be a regular driver, and would like it to be "reasonably" reliable. I am in the North East where it is cold and rusty. I have no problem with doing minor wrenching, but am not experienced enough to do any major overhauls.

Very thankful for any input your guys can muster up,

James
Old January 6th, 2019, 2:18 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by EastCoastShooter
Hey everyone, new guy here.

I'm looking at an 86 k10 step side with a 350 automatic for sale. I figure you guys would be the ones to ask about what I should look for before making an offer. I found it online and it is about a 3.5 hours drive away. Seller states it "runs good with over $3000 invested in the engine. New paint, tires and fuel pump".

My question is, what sort of things should I be looking for? Any known issues to look out for? Specific questions you think I should ask? Anything else I should expect owning one of these.

This would be my first classic vehicle. I don't need this to be a full on daily driver but am hoping for this to be a regular driver, and would like it to be "reasonably" reliable. I am in the North East where it is cold and rusty. I have no problem with doing minor wrenching, but am not experienced enough to do any major overhauls.

Very thankful for any input your guys can muster up,

James
Might want to see the recipients for this engine and paint job. Owner doesnt have them, drop the price WAY down or walk away. Be a good idea to have a professional mechanic look it over too. Whats this dude asking for it? You have any pics?

I am older then you. A classic Chevy is a pre-1973, high compression engined vehicle, with no smog controls, but thats just me :-)
Old January 6th, 2019, 9:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Might want to see the recipients for this engine and paint job. Owner doesnt have them, drop the price WAY down or walk away. Be a good idea to have a professional mechanic look it over too. Whats this dude asking for it? You have any pics?

I am older then you. A classic Chevy is a pre-1973, high compression engined vehicle, with no smog controls, but thats just me :-)
Thanks for the reply Henry,

I wasn't going to post the ad thinking maybe someone else would jump on it but the odds of someone local seeing this are pretty slim and I doubt anyone’s shipping a truck out of the rust belt. Here’s the link:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true

I hope posting outside links is ok here. I assure you I’m not the seller or anything like that. Price is in Canadian dollars so subtract about 25% for you southerners. Im obviously going to need more pictures and details from the seller, but that’s why I’m asking around here before making the call.

Let me know what you guys think,

James
Old January 6th, 2019, 3:34 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by EastCoastShooter

Thanks for the reply Henry,

I wasn't going to post the ad thinking maybe someone else would jump on it but the odds of someone local seeing this are pretty slim and I doubt anyone’s shipping a truck out of the rust belt. Here’s the link:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true

I hope posting outside links is ok here. I assure you I’m not the seller or anything like that. Price is in Canadian dollars so subtract about 25% for you southerners. Im obviously going to need more pictures and details from the seller, but that’s why I’m asking around here before making the call.

Let me know what you guys think,

James
Looks pretty good. My be worth the asking price but I never pay that. Too many owners ask too much.
Old February 27th, 2019, 7:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

One thing which doesn't lie is dirt. Bring a flashlight and a large piece of cardboard, or a piece of carpet, enough to
lay on. Look under the truck, at the differential, shocks, exhaust, under the engine, at the driveshaft, U-joints,
front & rear suspension, wheel-wells. Take your time. Look for wet oil or grease marks, they indicate a bad seal or leak.
see there are no holes in the exhaust, etc. 20 minutes of thorough inspection can save you a lot of money or grief, or both.

BTW, I see a lot of BS in the ad, but they couldn't take the time to say if it has A/C???

Last edited by therewolf; February 27th, 2019 at 7:18 PM.
Old February 27th, 2019, 8:41 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

Areas to look at when buying a 73-87 Truck

Search this Thread