Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

2005 colbalt theft system disable?

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2012, 10:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2005 colbalt theft system disable?

had to replace the dead battery in my wifes car, now the anti-theft system is on( car with lock light is on). How do I reset this, have tried leaving the key on for 15min & cycling the key 3 times when the lights on the dash go off. any ideas? Just got back from being married and already spending money on her car again. wonder if all these cars suck!!
Old June 1st, 2012, 9:22 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> skaterdad,

I'm sorry to hear of this issue with your Cobalt vehicle. Is the vehicle still starting? If the engine is running and the security light comes on, you will be able to restart the engine if you turn the engine off. However, your Passlock system is not working properly and must be serviced by your dealer.

You may also want to check the fuses.

In order to relearn the system:

- Turn the key to start.
- Let the key spring back to the ON position.
- Leave it on for 12 minutes or until the Passlock light goes off.
- Turn the key off, and then wait 5 seconds.
- Repeat 3 - 5 times.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old June 25th, 2013, 9:54 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default same problem

i have a 07 cobalt lt,yesterday i put in the fuse boxes because i had to do some work with them out.anyways now i cant get the car to do anything at all,i turn the key and it clicks(similar to a click of a dead battery)but last night i charged the battery and the connctions are all good and battery is fine.when i turn the key to on the anti theft icon pops up for about a min then disapears,but no other lights come on,radio works,but other than things like windows and the mirrors nothing else does,i have tried and tried the relearn process but cant get it to budge.i noticed on all the relearn processes ive read that the light stays on or is blinking for at least 10 min,then you turn it off and do 2 more sessions of that,however mine stays on for maybe a min to a min and a half or so and then shuts off.i have tried the relearn process by waiting 10 min,and i have also tried doing it when the light shuts off.im trying now to reset the computer by unhooking the battery for awhile,of not i have also read to leave the key in for a half hour.if there is something i am doing wrong with the relearn process or something i need to do extra that i am not doing please let me know or let me know of anything i can do to solve this issue,its my only car and dont have money to get it towed/fixed somewhere else,plus i would rather fix things on my own because the dealership has screwed me over before
Old June 28th, 2013, 2:38 AM
CF Beginner

my o7 chevy cobalt is on abs and it wont go back to normal. the car can be on but i can take out the key and it will still be on can anyone help and the key gets stuck also. if anyone can help thats great
Old September 24th, 2013, 7:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by lt1r
i have a 07 cobalt lt,yesterday i put in the fuse boxes because i had to do some work with them out.anyways now i cant get the car to do anything at all,i turn the key and it clicks(similar to a click of a dead battery)but last night i charged the battery and the connctions are all good and battery is fine.when i turn the key to on the anti theft icon pops up for about a min then disapears,but no other lights come on,radio works,but other than things like windows and the mirrors nothing else does,i have tried and tried the relearn process but cant get it to budge.i noticed on all the relearn processes ive read that the light stays on or is blinking for at least 10 min,then you turn it off and do 2 more sessions of that,however mine stays on for maybe a min to a min and a half or so and then shuts off.i have tried the relearn process by waiting 10 min,and i have also tried doing it when the light shuts off.im trying now to reset the computer by unhooking the battery for awhile,of not i have also read to leave the key in for a half hour.if there is something i am doing wrong with the relearn process or something i need to do extra that i am not doing please let me know or let me know of anything i can do to solve this issue,its my only car and dont have money to get it towed/fixed somewhere else,plus i would rather fix things on my own because the dealership has screwed me over before
Did you ever get this problem fixed? I'm having the same issue!
Old September 28th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Calvin ashby,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this concern as well. If you would like, we can certainly look into this for you. Did you plan on having your GM dealership look into this concern?

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old October 7th, 2013, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

so would this be the correct way of relearning the system because i have the same problem car wont turn on and security light stays on. they told me to do almost similar but leave the key at the on position for 10 min then off for 5 sec 3x but it did not work for me please any input would be great im still paying for a car that has not worked for almost a month and dont have the money to go to a dealer thanks
Old September 7th, 2015, 2:13 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2005 Cobalt with theft light on continuously. It used to go into flash mode every now and then and I would use the key trick to reteach it. But now it stays on. This is different, and I cant use the teach mode. Anyone have any Ideas ? Car down for over one month now, and its my only transportation. Thanks in advance !
Old January 24th, 2017, 7:48 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2006 chevy cobalt

Originally Posted by skirk2727
I have a 2005 Cobalt with theft light on continuously. It used to go into flash mode every now and then and I would use the key trick to reteach it. But now it stays on. This is different, and I cant use the teach mode. Anyone have any Ideas ? Car down for over one month now, and its my only transportation. Thanks in advance !
​​​​​
How do you reteach it? My security light flashes, and the alarm sounds If I open my doors when they're locked/unlocked. itll go off till key is inserted into ignition.
Old February 4th, 2017, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default Anti theft alarm goes off when you unlock 06 chevy cobalt with the key

Originally Posted by Dylon Burris
​​​​​
How do you reteach it? My security light flashes, and the alarm sounds If I open my doors when they're locked/unlocked. itll go off till key is inserted into ignition.
Hello to everyone on the forum,
For the background I had my 06 chevy cobalt ls model for over 7 years now, I really love the car has taken some really long trips on my baby. Texas to Florida and back now from Texas to California.
Now let's get to what I really wanted to share with others so that if some one is having the same problem can try what worked for me. Before taking the trip for California I had to put a new battery in the car. So after changing that my anti theft alarm system got activated. My key fob is dead, it does not work so for the longest I have been using the key to enter the car. So everytime I would unlock the car using my keys to enter my car it would set off the alarm. So I had to get in the car put the key in the ignition and turn it to run position (not engine run) to stop the alarm.
For the background I tried to reteach the key using the 10 min run and 5 sec off for may be 5-6 times with no success. So today I got up went to the car and started looking for the cause found some information regarding that the anti theft alarm gets triggered if the door lock buttons are used to lock the car. So after reading that I realized that may be the switches of my door locks were cycling and locking on there own. So went ahead and opened the switches for the driver side and the passenger side. And at last found the culprit it was my driver side switch which had gone bad, which was engaging the door lock to lock the doors. As soon as I disconnected the switch, the alarm did not bother me anymore.
Hope this info helps someone, and if you have any questions just send it my way I will be glad to share what I did, stepwise... I am going to post a pic of the bad switch if I can.
You have a good day and enjoy your car..

Quick Reply: 2005 colbalt theft system disable?