Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

A/C Issue and ABS/TC Lights

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2012, 6:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Issue and ABS/TC Lights

Hey guys I recently bought a 2007 Cobalt SS and I'm having a couple issues that I've yet to figure out. I know very little about cars unfortunately so any help is appreciated.

My first issue is with the air conditioner. While I'm driving, it works fine, however when I'm stopped or parked no cold air whatsoever is released. Right away I refilled the refrigerant hoping to fix the issue but that didn't help. Someone pointed out that I possibly had a leak but I assumed that I would at least get some cool air during the time I was refilling it, yet it was stilling blowing the warm air. Sucks during this crazy hot weather we've been having, combined with the fact I hit quite a bit of traffic when I'm out, hehe.

My other problem is my ABS and TC lights will come on. Sometimes they do so when I first start her up, other times it may take a few minutes into my drive. I've taken it to a shop since the Chevy warranty still covered it and they fixed some issues but I'm still getting the lights. Not to mention the AC is still acting up.

Any things I should check out or anything I should be concerned about with the anti-lock brake and traction control issues?

Thanks guys.
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by timber54
Hey guys I recently bought a 2007 Cobalt SS and I'm having a couple issues that I've yet to figure out. I know very little about cars unfortunately so any help is appreciated.

My first issue is with the air conditioner. While I'm driving, it works fine, however when I'm stopped or parked no cold air whatsoever is released. Right away I refilled the refrigerant hoping to fix the issue but that didn't help. Someone pointed out that I possibly had a leak but I assumed that I would at least get some cool air during the time I was refilling it, yet it was stilling blowing the warm air. Sucks during this crazy hot weather we've been having, combined with the fact I hit quite a bit of traffic when I'm out, hehe.

My other problem is my ABS and TC lights will come on. Sometimes they do so when I first start her up, other times it may take a few minutes into my drive. I've taken it to a shop since the Chevy warranty still covered it and they fixed some issues but I'm still getting the lights. Not to mention the AC is still acting up.

Any things I should check out or anything I should be concerned about with the anti-lock brake and traction control issues?

Thanks guys.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> It is difficult to determine what the issues are without inspecting the vehicle. The A/C issue could be due to a compressor problem, fan or sensor. These are only suggestions, they are not meant as a diagnosis.

The ABS/TC issues may be EBCM related. If the lights stay on, adjust your driving accordingly. You will still have brakes, but will not have anti-lock brakes. For the TC, there may be a problem with the ETS system. Again, adjust your driving as the system will not limit wheel spin if the light stays on.

I encourage you to consult with a certified technician for an official diagnosis. They will be able to offer additional information after inspecting the vehicle.

Please keep us posted.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old July 14th, 2012, 8:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

a/c....are the cooling fans coming on when the a/c is turned on? Without the fans moving air through the condenser the high side pressures will get to high and the system will shut down until the pressure drops.

abs/traction...post any codes that have set in the abs/tcs system and ecm. Bad wheel speed sensors are common but you need to post the dtc for proper diagnosis.