Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

Factory Remote Start Installed?

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2011, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Remote Start Installed?

Hi all,
About 6 months ago I purchased a slightly used 2010 Cobalt LT 2LT. According to the GM window information papers the vehicle has remote start included as a factory installed option. Unfortunately my fob is a 4 button and according to GM systems it is the correct one. My question is, how can I find out for sure that my vehicle does not have the remote start already installed? I was told that installation consists of mere programming to the already existing equipment, does anyone know if this is true? If so, how can I get this information programmed so that the system will work. I have spoken with a local dealership which has given me nothing but problems and wants to install an aftermarket system, which makes no sense to me if the vehicle already has the capabilities. If someone could let me know what needs to be done in order to make this a reality I would greatly appreciate it.
Old October 27th, 2011, 7:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. What does the window sticker say? Either you have the Remote Vehicle Starter System option (not to be confused with Remote Keyless Entry) or you don't. Look for the SPID label with a bunch of RPO codes in the glove compartment or on the spare tire cover. Unless you see AP3 (remote vehicle starter system) and MX0 (4-speed automatic transmission), you don't have the option and, further, it cannot be added after the fact.
Old October 27th, 2011, 8:24 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

My Tahoe came with the "AP8" which is the "Remote vehicle starter prep package" meaning I have to have a new remote and a different receiver installed to have the remote start feature. but the vehicle is "prepped" for it with the AP8 option...

AP3 Remote vehicle starter system
AP8 Remote vehicle starter prep package
Old October 27th, 2011, 9:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't seen AP8 listed as available on the Cobalt, though, at least for the 2010 Cobalt.
Old September 28th, 2012, 5:23 AM
Banned

Thanks for sharing such a vital information, actually I am looking for information regarding. Now this thread definitely help me a lot.

Old April 24th, 2017, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EinST
Welcome to the forum. What does the window sticker say? Either you have the Remote Vehicle Starter System option (not to be confused with Remote Keyless Entry) or you don't. Look for the SPID label with a bunch of RPO codes in the glove compartment or on the spare tire cover. Unless you see AP3 (remote vehicle starter system) and MX0 (4-speed automatic transmission), you don't have the option and, further, it cannot be added after the fact.
remote start can be added if you dont already have it.
Old October 17th, 2017, 9:59 PM
CF Beginner

Post Research Notes on Keyless Entry for 2010 Cobalt

Currently trying to figure this out for my newly purchased 2010 Cobalt as well.

So far I've found out a couple things:

1. RPO codes are important!
AP0 = Keyless Entry
AP3 = Remote vehicle starter system
MX0 = 4-speed automatic transmission
2. Without AP0 or AP3 factory keyless seems almost impossible.
The PCM ("Power Control Module", the onboard computer) will not have controllers installed into its circuits so even if you plug in a factory RKE ("Remote Keyless Entry unit", the device that controls the fobs) the PCM won't know what to do with it. I have a theory that you can reflash, overwrite the controllers (different from reprogramming which simply alters parameters and options), the PCM to include the controller for an RKE. The physical units shouldn't be different, only the code that has been flashed onto the chips.
3. Without MX0 you CAN still install a remote start system
10s on Google found this article: https://www.mobileedgeonline.com/can...-transmission/
YES you can but with some conditions: You have to put the car in neutral and handbrake on for it to work. Otherwise there would be nothing stopping it from driving off. With MX0 (or aftermarket automatic transmissions) the car can take care of that for you.
4. Aftermarket keyless solutions work.
If you have a car older than 2010 then most people seem to even prefer them over the factory ones for most cars because of the extended features compared to the older systems.
I have not found a single sob story about aftermarket solutions' quality.
5. Installation is hard
Even though the systems seem to work well the installation is still difficult. It is possible to fry your entire electrical setup if you mess up. Replacing a PCM alone for a Cobalt would probably cost somewhere around $500. If you dont know how to work a multimeter then you would probably be better off just having professionals do it for you. I would suggest finding someone who are willing to work with parts you get off of eBay (or that have comparable part prices).
PS:
I am posting this because I stumbled upon the thread while researching this. I have not gotten around to searching this forum, so if any of you have a different thread or want me to set up a master thread for this I can, but I would appreciate a PM.

Last edited by nvus; October 17th, 2017 at 10:02 PM. Reason: format
Old December 4th, 2019, 5:58 PM
CF Beginner

Default Please help!!

So I've read all the comments on this thread and I've looked at the RPO codes in the glove box and I have the AP3 code but I'm not seeing the MXO would this mean I have the remote start package installed? Or does it need to have the both of them, I'm just a little confused.