Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Cobalt (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/cobalt-32/)
-   -   few issues with 2006 cobalt ls (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/cobalt-32/few-issues-2006-cobalt-ls-46642/)

dz24 November 20th, 2011 8:12 PM

few issues with 2006 cobalt ls

Hello everyone. I just got a second hand 2006 cobalt LS coupe manual transmission. the car is in mint condition body wise. I have a couple small issues tho and hoping to get some insight.

First thing is the most annoying. my key i was given only unlocks the passenger side door (i dont have power locks). It will not unlock the trunk or the drivers door. The only thing it does it starts the car and locks/unlocks passenger door. so i gotta go in passenger side and reach over and unlock the drivers door then get out and go to the other side of car. the guy i bought it from got this at an auction and only owned the car for a matter of days so he didnt bother to look into it.

also there was some rattling near the front of the car, the guy i got it from thought it was the plastic engine cover (already replaced wheel barring and a stabilizer and went through inspection less than a month ago) so i took the cover off and indeed some rattling was because of it but there is still a rattle i cannot pin point.

another thing is the overall handling. the car is fine at low speed but sometimes on the highway, if i turn a bit one way sometimes the car wants to pull more to that side then it will do it on the other side, its not bad but wierd. and other times i can drive straight line with hands off the wheel. its not consistant...

was gonna post about opening trunk but just found where chevy hid the trunk pop.

no arm rest/center console!?!?!?! how can i get one?

so ya besides all that the car seems in great shape and working condition.

thanks for any advice on any of these issues. i can even provide the VIN if that helps.

Chevrolet Customer Service November 21st, 2011 12:18 PM

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Welcome to the forum dz24!
Could you please pm me your name, VIN number & mileage. I would like to look into this for you. Have you taken the vehicle in for an inspection for any of the issue? If so, where did you go? I look forward to hearing from you!

Louis
GM Customer Service

bikesnbroadheads November 21st, 2011 3:10 PM

you can buy new console/ arm rest on ebay for about 75-80 plus ship very easy to install 4 bolts your pulling could be junk tires my used 05 had chinese tires on it and it handled the sameway put 4 michelins on it and it was like a different car

dz24 November 21st, 2011 8:14 PM

thanks for the replies guys. i sent u a PM CS.

It has 17 inch alloy rims and all 4 tires are at 35psi

I have only owned the car since nov 19 so i havent had time to see any dealers or repair shops, besides i like to always do research myself before seeing a professional, i tend to not spend as much money that way :p

as for the arm rest, they always say its for an automatic so will it still be ok and work with mine? or is there a standard version i cannot find?

dz24 November 23rd, 2011 7:08 PM

update, thanks mr customer service for pointing out the recall on the power steering assist. i was able to get my car in this morning at my gm dealer and had it repaired free. i mentioned about my key issue and they were saying the lock could be jammed or somthing but i didnt have money or time since i had to go to work. So far i cannot really tell how the repair affected my steering because there was also a snow storm up here in canada today eh so i drove like 20kmh for the mile or two away to my workplace from the dealership. its crazy outside lol

Chevrolet Customer Service November 26th, 2011 7:42 AM

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> dz24,
I am happy to hear that you were able to get your vehicle repaired. Please keep us up to date. Best of luck!

Louis
GM Customer Service

dz24 December 19th, 2011 7:19 PM

Hey guys, Just an update. been almost a month since i updated.
since then i changed to 15" winter tires and rims in place of the 17" summer ones and also replaced both front struts. The two front 17" tires were wore a bit which didnt help the "wandering" while accelerating. the car has no more rattling in front end and drives very smooth and stable now.

i still didnt get my door lock fixed but i didnt get around to taking it anywhere either.

One thing i started to notice was that sometimes while driving i get "service airbag" on my dash and it will stay on untill i turn the car off and start it again. sometimes i'll go 4-5 days and it wont happen then it will happen 4-5 times in one day.
when someone sits in passenger seat the passenger airbag light doesnt ever go out either. thats strange.

lastly im getting the vapour lock issue im sure others get with these cobalts while filling er up.

all in all the car works great.

Chevrolet Customer Service December 20th, 2011 9:38 AM

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> dz24,

The airbag light could be a sensor issue. You may want to have it checked out just to make sure that the airbag will deploy if you were to get in an accident.

The vapor lock issue is a bit more difficult to diagnose, there are many possibilities. For example: a bad fuel pump. This is only a suggestion, not a diagnosis. If this becomes a frequent issue, I encourage you to take the vehicle in for an inspection.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me!

Have a great day!

Louis
GM Customer Service

GM Fixer September 25th, 2012 12:48 PM

door lock

there is penetrating called Moo-Vit can get at NAPA use that spray that in the key holes let sit use key in and out it will come loose