Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Cobalt (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/cobalt-32/)
-   -   P2440 on 2008 Cobalt (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/cobalt-32/p2440-2008-cobalt-57533/)

rodes6 April 5th, 2013 3:14 PM

P2440 on 2008 Cobalt

I am hoping someone may have come across the issue that my wife's car has been having. Back In January her engine light came on and using my actron scanner I read a P2440 code. This code says "Secondary Air Injection System Switching valve Stuck Open (Bank 1)". Back in January I 'chalked' it up to my wife leaving in the morning without warming her car up and immediately driving 70 on the highway. I shut the light off and it stayed off.<O:p</O:p
<O:p></O:p>
However, it came on two days ago and I read the code again and got the same code. I shut it off, but it came back on this morning.<O:p></O:p>
Does anyone have any ideas what may be going on? Ideas on fixes?<O:p></O:p>
Thank you.<O:p></O:p>
~Mike<O:p></O:p>

Chevrolet Customer Service April 6th, 2013 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by rodes6 (Post 245296)
I am hoping someone may have come across the issue that my wife's car has been having. Back In January her engine light came on and using my actron scanner I read a P2440 code. This code says "Secondary Air Injection System Switching valve Stuck Open (Bank 1)". Back in January I 'chalked' it up to my wife leaving in the morning without warming her car up and immediately driving 70 on the highway. I shut the light off and it stayed off.<o:p</o
<o:p></o>
However, it came on two days ago and I read the code again and got the same code. I shut it off, but it came back on this morning.<o:p></o>
Does anyone have any ideas what may be going on? Ideas on fixes?<o:p></o>
Thank you.<o:p></o>
~Mike<o:p></o>

Mike,

I would be more than happy to look into your concern. If you could please private message me your VIN. Thank you.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service

in2pro April 6th, 2013 12:50 PM

Secondary Air Injection System Description

A description of what the code is...

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt | Cobalt, G5 (VIN A) Service Manual | Document ID: 1652244
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secondary Air Injection System Description
The Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System aids in the reduction of hydrocarbon exhaust emissions during a cold start-up. This occurs when the start-up engine coolant temperature (ECT) is between 5-50°C (41-122°F), and the intake air temperature (IAT) is between 5-60°C (41-140°F). The AIR pump operates 5-60 seconds after start-up.

The control module activates the AIR system by simultaneously supplying grounds to the AIR pump and the AIR valve relays. This action closes the relays' internal contacts. The AIR pump and the AIR control solenoid valve/pressure sensor assembly are in turn energized, the pump runs and the control/shut-off valve opens.

The AIR pump sends pressurized fresh air into the pipes/hoses through the open control/shut-off valve, and into the exhaust manifold. The extra air accelerates the catalyst operation, helping it to reach operating temperature faster. The AIR pump remains ON for a short period of time after the control/shut-off valve is commanded OFF. When the AIR pump is commanded OFF it will not run or be activated until the next vehicle start. When the AIR system is inactive, the closed AIR control/shut-off valve prevents air/exhaust flow in either direction.

The AIR system pressure sensor is used to monitor pressure at the AIR control solenoid valve/pressure sensor assembly inlet during the commanded ON/OFF states.

The AIR system includes the following components:

• The AIR pump--The electric AIR pump supplies pressurized, filtered air to the AIR control/shut-off valve. The AIR pump is a turbine type pump that is permanently lubricated and requires no periodic maintenance.

Important: The AIR solenoid, control/shut-off valve, and the pressure sensor are serviced as an assembly.

• The AIR solenoid--The AIR solenoids opens the AIR control/shut-off valve when the solenoid is energized by the AIR solenoid relay.

Important: An audible exhaust or fluttering noise may be heard at the control solenoid valve/pressure sensor assembly inlet when the valve is open and the AIR hose is removed from the control solenoid valve/pressure sensor assembly.

• The AIR control solenoid valve/pressure sensor assembly--The AIR control solenoid valve/pressure sensor assembly has a solenoid mounted valve. When the valve is open by the solenoid, pressurized air from the AIR pump flows through the control solenoid valve/pressure sensor assembly and is directed into the exhaust manifold through an outlet pipe.

• The AIR pressure sensor--The AIR pressure sensor is a part of the AIR control solenoid valve/pressure sensor assembly. The sensor is a 3-wire sensor that measures the AIR system pressure at the AIR control solenoid valve/pressure sensor assembly inlet.

• The AIR pump relay--The AIR pump relay supplies high current and battery voltage to the AIR pump. The control module commands the relay ON by supplying a ground to the relay control circuit.

• The AIR valve relay--The AIR valve relay supplies high current and battery voltage to the AIR solenoid. the control module commands the relay ON by supplying a ground to the relay control circuit.

• The pipes and hoses--The AIR system hose carries filtered air from the engine air cleaner to the AIR pump inlet. The pipe/hoses carry the air from the AIR pump to the AIR control solenoid valve/pressure sensor assembly and on to the exhaust manifold.

• The inlet filter--The AIR system does not have a separate inlet air filter. Filtered air is drawn from the engine air cleaner assembly.

Results of Incorrect Operation
The control module monitors the Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System for faults during cold start-up operation. When the system's pressure or relay circuits operations vary too far from the predicted values, a DTC will set. Diagnostics detect the following conditions:

• A partially blocked or leaking AIR system

• A malfunctioning AIR pump

• A malfunctioning AIR control solenoid valve/pressure sensor assembly

• A malfunctioning AIR pressure sensor

• A restricted exhaust system, forward of the catalytic converter

• A malfunctioning AIR pump and AIR valve relay

The following DTCs set when an AIR system fault is detected:

• DTC P0411--An AIR system insufficient airflow fault condition has been detected.

• DTC P0412--An AIR valve relay coil circuit fault condition has been detected.

• DTC P0418--An AIR pump relay coil circuit fault condition has been detected.

• DTC P2430--An AIR pressure sensor stuck in range fault condition has been detected.

• DTC P2431--An AIR pressure sensor range/performance fault condition has been detected.

• DTC P2432--An AIR pressure sensor signal voltage below the minimum range of the sensor fault condition has been detected.

• DTC P2433--An AIR pressure sensor signal voltage is above the maximum range of the sensor fault condition has been detected.

• DTC P2440--An AIR system airflow leak fault condition has been detected.

• DTC P2444--An AIR pump stuck ON fault condition has been detected.

rodes6 June 1st, 2013 7:46 PM

Problem solved...kind of

Hey all,

I just wanted to give you an update on the problem I had and the solution to the problem. I shut off the light from the original code, P2440, and it never came back. However, four weeks ago a new code surfaced, P0411. This code is: Secondary Air Injection System Incorrect Flow Detected. I shut it off and it came right back on.

After some research I changed the secondary air injection check valve. I went to West Springfield Autoparts (my local AC Delco distributor) and bot the OEM part. Installation took less than 20mins. It is now two weeks later and no more codes.

battfour11 December 10th, 2013 8:53 PM

We just bought a 2008 impala. (as is UGH!!!) 102,000 miles. My daughter made it 40 miles down the road and the check eng light came on. the code coming up p0411. Looking online it looks like there could be 4 possibilities. Fuse, Relay, Pump or check valve. From all I have been reading it seems that 90% of the time all parts are changed and the one that corrects the issue is the valve. My question is, How likely is this? I would rather just change the valve and take my chances than it being something else

Ok follow up. I took a shot and just changed the check valve ($152 from Amazon) 75 miles later and there is the light gleaming in our faces again....WTF!!! hate dumping $$$ money on a shot but I guess the next step would be the pump $80 (ebay) does anyone have any other info that would help???