Colorado The compact pickup from Chevy, including the new Duramax Turbo-Diesel Colorado.

Chevrolet Colorado
Platform: GMT 350, GMT 31XX

Low beams very dim

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2019, 7:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low beams very dim

I recently purchased a 2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 4 wheel drive and have noticed that I have difficulty seeing at night when driving with low beams on. I have actually pulled over a couple of times and got out of the truck to look to see if the lights were even on. What is the best way to upgrade the lights as I find this very disappointing after paying 37k for the truck? Do I need to just replace the bulbs or do I need to change the whole assembly? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 20th, 2019, 7:07 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

This is a new truck. Did you try taking it back to the dealer and getting it repaired under warranty?
Old January 20th, 2019, 2:04 PM
CF Beginner

I don't think this is a faulty light issue. I just think the bulbs they use are inadequate. I read an article by the Automobile safety counsel that listed the headlights on the Colorado as the worst of all the vehicles they tested. That's why I'm asking folks for their opinion on what is the best way to upgrade the lights. I'm going to go to the dealership tomorrow to see what they recommend.
Old January 20th, 2019, 2:27 PM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default These little lights of mine, I wanna let 'em shine.

Originally Posted by oldchevy
This is a new truck. Did you try taking it back to the dealer and getting it repaired under warranty?
I 2nd this advice. Before you rush out and spend a lot of time and money replacing bulbs that may not be bad, you owe it to yourself to take it to the dealer and verify that you don't have a bad Daylight Running Light circuit. The DRL circuit is designed to supply less voltage to the low beams so they aren't as bright but are lit and put out less wattage. You can learn a little about them on YouTube :drl circuit

If it's a factory defect, it's a free repair.
Old January 20th, 2019, 3:37 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Kazoocruiser
I 2nd this advice. Before you rush out and spend a lot of time and money replacing bulbs that may not be bad, you owe it to yourself to take it to the dealer and verify that you don't have a bad Daylight Running Light circuit. The DRL circuit is designed to supply less voltage to the low beams so they aren't as bright but are lit and put out less wattage. You can learn a little about them on YouTube :drl circuit

If it's a factory defect, it's a free repair.
Thanks for the advice. I am taking it in to the dealership tomorrow so I will ask them about this. I appreciate the information.
Old January 20th, 2019, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

there may be a reprogramming update for the bcm. In the past the Silverado's have had the same issue...updating the bcm increased the voltage output to the lights.