Computer, Ignition, & Fuel Systems Talk about the control module, ignition system, fuel system and delivery, customization and more.

i'm a newbie and with a weak spark on 99 silverado 1500 4.3

Old December 14th, 2009, 7:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question i'm a newbie and with a weak spark on 99 silverado 1500 4.3

i pull a spark plug wire and crank the engine.the spark was weak with bright orange/red not blue.then i pull the coil wire from the cap and check it same thing. has anyone had this problem before or can tell me what i need to check.for the last week it was hard to start when it's cold after it crank it was ok. now it try to start when you stop turnning the engine over.i try to search this problem with no luck. thanks
Old December 14th, 2009, 8:38 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I the spark is not blue from the coil, you need a coil.
Old December 14th, 2009, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

i'll try a coil thanks i seen somewere that if the hot wire going to the coil didn't have 12v that might be it. i thing i need a wireing dirgam do you no were i could find one thanks again
Old December 14th, 2009, 9:22 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alldata online. But it is more likely the coil is bad than anything else.
Old December 21st, 2009, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

Question need a pro on this 99 chevy with a weak spark

to day i check the power wire to the coil/crankshaft sensor.i had power i took the crank sensor off and wipe the end off and put it back on. when i try to crank it still didn't want to run i turn it over and it would only hit when i stop turning the key.it wanted to run after i stop turning the key.after 3or4 times it finely fire up and smoke for a little bit.i turn it off and try it again it started so i try it a few more times and it started when it was hot. i don't no if it going to start when it's cold.it only try to crank when i stop turning the key. is this a ignition switch problem or when i turn the key it a problem with the amount of power to the coil.when it want run the spark is weak at the plugs and coil ive seen were other have had the weak spark on this 4.3 vin w no one was able to find out the cause thanks for any info on this problem
Old March 4th, 2020, 12:06 AM
CF Beginner

Default Weak red spark, wants to start when turning key back to off position

Originally Posted by dlf35121
to day i check the power wire to the coil/crankshaft sensor.i had power i took the crank sensor off and wipe the end off and put it back on. when i try to crank it still didn't want to run i turn it over and it would only hit when i stop turning the key.it wanted to run after i stop turning the key.after 3or4 times it finely fire up and smoke for a little bit.i turn it off and try it again it started so i try it a few more times and it started when it was hot. i don't no if it going to start when it's cold.it only try to crank when i stop turning the key. is this a ignition switch problem or when i turn the key it a problem with the amount of power to the coil.when it want run the spark is weak at the plugs and coil ive seen were other have had the weak spark on this 4.3 vin w no one was able to find out the cause thanks for any info on this problem
Spoiler