Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Cruze (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/cruze-88/)
-   -   AC off due to high engine temp (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/cruze-88/ac-off-due-high-engine-temp-91067/)

Mlaplante1988 July 1st, 2018 10:20 PM

AC off due to high engine temp

I have a 2012 Cruze. The dumb part of this is that I can’t remember what warning I originally received from my car, but it made me check the coolant level. It was extremely low so I topped it off when the car was cold. It was fine for a while. A couple days later, my coolant was low again so I topped it off again and had a mechanic look at it. The mechanic said he put air on everything and couldn’t find a leak (he did find a transmission leak but that’s most likely a separate issue). Also the oil in my car is clean so the transmission fluid wasn’t going in there.

Fast forward 3 months and now my car is fine with the coolant levels (as far as I know ha) but when I have the air conditioning on, my temperature gauge will go past half (3/4), my air turns off, then I get an error that says “AC off due to high engine temp”. This happens at any speed (has happened at 40 mph, 65 mph, etc). Also it doesn’t always do it. I just sent this car to the same mechanic hoping that he’d find something but he drove it in the morning when it was 70 out and then in the evening when it was 90 out and didn’t encounter a problem. I drove it the next morning and it was fine, but later that day I drove it and it went past half, did the error message, but this time my air stayed on and my engine corrected itself. Nothing sounds loud in my car, unless it is actually a cooling fan and it’s super quiet. Could it be a temperature sensor? And why was my coolant leaking and now it’s not? The mechanic has good ratings and I don’t want to take it a huge corporate mechanic and get charged a ridiculous amount.

lngilbert October 8th, 2018 12:03 AM

Today on my way home from dinner with friends my 2013 Chevy Cruze gave a warning "A/C off due to high engine temp" and the fan started running at full speed. I arrived home safely and checked my coolant level which was normal with no leaks anywhere to be found. I let the car sit for a while then restarted it only to find that the fan came on immediately and was running at full speed.

Marcel Baldwin October 28th, 2018 1:09 PM

Same issue!!

Originally Posted by lngilbert (Post 363949)
Today on my way home from dinner with friends my 2013 Chevy Cruze gave a warning "A/C off due to high engine temp" and the fan started running at full speed. I arrived home safely and checked my coolant level which was normal with no leaks anywhere to be found. I let the car sit for a while then restarted it only to find that the fan came on immediately and was running at full speed.

I'm having the same exact problem...

Jacob Woodby December 8th, 2019 6:13 PM

Did anyone find a fix?

sreekanth Reddy December 21st, 2020 10:49 AM

A/c off due to high engine temperature and temperature sensor at 0

Originally Posted by Marcel Baldwin (Post 365023)
I'm having the same exact problem...

chevi cruze sucks, I always have one problem or other every other month, replaced many parts and now it has another warning on dashboard saying , A/C off due to high engine temperature and temperature sensor stays at 0, the worst car i ever owned, never buying any chevrolet cars

Jacob Woodby December 21st, 2020 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by sreekanth Reddy (Post 457757)
chevi cruze sucks, I always have one problem or other every other month, replaced many parts and now it has another warning on dashboard saying , A/C off due to high engine temperature and temperature sensor stays at 0, the worst car i ever owned, never buying any chevrolet cars

So as strange as it sounds, the fix for mine ended up being a bad ignition switch. It was an electrical issue which caused mine.