Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine Building & Overhauling (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/engine-building-overhauling-43/)
-   -   383 build for my 96 express conversion van (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/engine-building-overhauling-43/383-build-my-96-express-conversion-van-42510/)

T.Neff October 2nd, 2011 5:12 AM

Originally Posted by chucksrt (Post 193151)
I just got another dizzy from summit and the gear was installed 180 out from the first one they shipped me. I left the original dizzy in there from the old engine just to get it running. I took it to an exhaust shop today to get the exhaust pipes connected so I can drive it around while I put the finishing touches on it but....... the vans trans took a poop when they tried to pull it on the lift and it just gave out. They let it sit for a couple of minutes and were able to put it in a spot but it needs a trans!!! I am looking at a monster trans and converter but I am open to suggestions if you know of a good built trans!!!

Chuck-the reviews I have seen on the net about "monster trans" hasn't been good.Those splitter bandit companies trying to run with the national big dogs with substandard parts will always end up having you paying more in the long run.So I is a good thing your going with a local guy.Just be sure he tells you the brand names of what he is using.If he has a problem doing that because he says it is some sort of a secret.......then tell him that is a secret he needs to keep to himself and find someone else to do your work for you.Bottom line..........know what your paying for.

chucksrt October 4th, 2011 12:01 PM

Ended up going with CPT transmission out of Delaware. He is somewhat local and has a very good rep for his 4l60E trans!! I got what he calls his pro race build. I should have the trans back within the next two weeks so I can finally drive this thing and break it in!!

T.Neff October 4th, 2011 1:49 PM

Chuck-what exactly are you getting in a "Pro Race Build"??.That is the million dollar question.

chucksrt October 4th, 2011 2:03 PM

CPT - Cahall Performance Transmissions: Transmission pricing - 4l60e/700r4
here is a link to the different build stages.

Chev79 October 9th, 2011 12:05 AM

Cpt

You might want to check camaroz28 site first before giving this crook money.

chucksrt October 9th, 2011 6:16 PM

I have followed a couple different threads on him and about his work. I see he had issues a little while back and has started catching up/making good on some of his past problems. I am aware of the issues he had but I am also aware of the quality of his work! I have spoken with him and met him when I dropped off my trans to him. He has a very large following in my area and a lot of praise about his builds! My trans should be done by this weekend. I am not one to judge his past and if there are any issues it's on me, But I am confident he will do what he does best and build me a top notch 4l60E transmission.

T.Neff October 9th, 2011 6:52 PM

It's tough serving the public.Than add in high performance into that and word spreads faster than you can keep up with it.That is good and bad.What gets me is a company that has problems and doesn't do anything to solve them.The other thing that makes it hard is with high performance sales is the nagging question of is it the product or the end user that is at fault,yet the company gets blamed for it.

We suggest TCI because they have always treated us very well,are a innovated company building their own parts,and have a very strong customer service support.

Chuck-you need to ask him how to clear all the old codes from your old trans for your new tranny.That given it being a "E" tranny is very important.

chucksrt October 9th, 2011 7:02 PM

Terry are you saying that the trans can store codes even after being rebuilt? I didn't have and codes or check engine light prior to removing the trans. He is building my old trans as his core.

T.Neff October 10th, 2011 12:09 AM

Not in the trans,but in the computer in your van.Ask your guy,he'll know what I am talking about.

chucksrt November 5th, 2011 7:34 PM

Trans is in and everything is hooked up for the most part! I am waiting for the radiator to come in so I can run the trans cooler lines and install the stacked plate cooler in line. I still have to plug the wire connectors back into the trans, it seems they have some sort of film on them that is making it hard to plug them in? I will get some brake cleaner and a rag and try to remove the residue on the connectors. I am excited to be this far along but I have had my set backs, I recently went to open the door to pop the hood and found that tree birds were flying around inside my van!!! I had the dog house off while I was working on it and they squeezed in between the engine and the opening, so yes there is some poop that needs to be cleaned! Always something!!! This thing better run it"s ass off for all of the crap it's put me through!!!!