Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

99 5.7 Tahoe engine dropped into a car. Concerns

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2017, 8:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 5.7 Tahoe engine dropped into a car. Concerns

Hi, my name is Aaron.

1st forum post on here.

I am currently planning a project car using my friends 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe engine. 5.7 350 vortec.

My question to the community is what common issues could I face in dropping this engine into a car. I am currently looking into a 1971 nova body, or ISO something of the like. Possibly an old Camaro also. I am not interested in anything being original, creature comforts, other than the basic stereo, heat, and a seat.

I have searched the internet, and have not seen anyone attempt to drop a 99 Vortec into any older 70s-90s muscle. I know it should mount with no issue, and the ECM will need a tweak if not total change. My question to you is what common/ uncommon issues should I look out for, what parts are recommended, and anything else I should know before picking the body to drop this in.

I have a small budget for this project, I'm just looking to make this a daily driver/sleeper machine. I will slowly upgrade as time goes on, but priority now is picking the model car to drop this huge thing into, and getting it running as smoothly as possible. I also am in need of a tranny, and it doesn't have to just be a stock tranny. I'm open to just about anything here. no idea rejected outright.

This very much will be a sleeper beater with a heater, no reason it can't be badass though.

What will be required for this build, (other than the obvious)

Common issues

Recommended parts

Recommended tweaks

Recommended cheap old muscle to throw this into.