Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

big block chevy

Old June 3rd, 2009, 8:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question big block chevy

i know this is probably dumb but i need to know if the 454 used a oil slinger
behind the timing cover cant remember if it had one or not and of course
i cant find one in or around my truck or in the shop i torn it down awhile back and now its finally built but i am stuck at this point cause if it did have one i want to put it back in man i should have paid more att. and used my camera
any help would be appreciated
Old June 11th, 2009, 2:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default 4door dually project

i started out with a 2wd so i rip out all that stuff and bought a k2500 frame
for all the 4wd parts hangers and springs steering box etc.
i pulled the motor and put in the front cross member and the motor towers
did all the fab work to put in the springs and front end all that is done so i had my bb 454 machine shop built 30 over trw forged pistons mild cam and had the heads done with new studs and guide plates and new guides new crank and new rods line bore on crank and cam was done new every thing it is almost done and there is no oil slinger motors in and all i have left is bolting uo the exshaust pipes and droping the dis. and plugs and carb and wireing it up and should be ready the way i had thye motor done it should be a pulling bear.
Old December 21st, 2019, 4:56 PM
CF Beginner

I'm looking to freshen and liven up my 72 402 anchor with a 3856206 from the 396 of 56-66 vintage. first, I've read that the 402 of 71 and 72 are in fact the same engine with 300hp rating despite what it is rated at for 72 being 240. My Monte is frame off restored about 2-1/2 years ago but the guy restoring it wanted it all completely bone stock original. So the anchor is factory specs today. The car feels like 300 hp to me in a heavy car. So can anyone tell me the ruth on this point? I have found a set of 206 heads that will be far better than the stock originals but I'm lead to to believe they may not fit due to the closed chamber nature and the original domed pistons currently taking up space. Any offers of true insight here? Any certainty would sure be helpful and appreciated much.

fall '19