Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Engine Oil Priming

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2017, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Oil Priming

I Installed a new long block in my son's truck over the last week. 1994 GMC C1500 with 4.3Ltr. TBI Vortec. I have come to the step of oil prime. With my drill maxed out with the GM oil priming tool I am getting about 40psi. Problem is it took a solid five minutes to get any oil to the lifters. And when I finally got oil to all the lifters the oil is barely dribbling out. This just doesn't seem right. Is this normal? Seems like there should be oil spewing out. My max rpm with no load on this drill is 1600 rpm. The last thing I want to do is starve this engine of oil. I set the pickup screen about a 1/4 inch from the bottom of the oil pan. Knowing that I have oil up top already would I be safe in cranking engine to see if this gets any better?
Old April 9th, 2017, 3:16 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Might be the pump is too low. It could be possible that you are creating a vortex at the pump, in other words you have a very high flow, but a large pressure drop. If you can raise the pump suction up a little see if that improves