Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Engine Start Up

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2012, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Start Up

I rebuilt a 350 and stroked it to a 383, while trying to start the motor it spits up fuel from the carb, I then rechecked TDC on the #1 cyl and found that my timing was slightly off... corrected the problem and the engine started up, it ran smoothly for initial startup until i noticed a small fuel leak. shut the engine off fixed that, restarted the motor and broke in the cam, but now the engine wont start and it spits fuel out of the carb; we tried it again and got a nice little fire out the top of the carb. the dist. has not moved because it was tightened down. Any clue on what is causing or how to fix. Is a valve being stuck open or is the timing just so slightly off that it is causing this? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old July 26th, 2012, 3:43 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by 61impala
I rebuilt a 350 and stroked it to a 383, while trying to start the motor it spits up fuel from the carb, I then rechecked TDC on the #1 cyl and found that my timing was slightly off... corrected the problem and the engine started up, it ran smoothly for initial startup until i noticed a small fuel leak. shut the engine off fixed that, restarted the motor and broke in the cam, but now the engine wont start and it spits fuel out of the carb; we tried it again and got a nice little fire out the top of the carb. the dist. has not moved because it was tightened down. Any clue on what is causing or how to fix. Is a valve being stuck open or is the timing just so slightly off that it is causing this? Any help is greatly appreciated!
My guess is you didn't get the timming chain right, or it has jumped time for some reason. You have to have had it right for it to start, but sounds like mechanical timming to me.
Old July 26th, 2012, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Its a new double roller time chain i doubt it jumped and it would have had to have been right for the engine to start let alone run for 20 min
Old July 26th, 2012, 6:41 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
My guess is you didn't get the timming chain right, or it has jumped time for some reason. You have to have had it right for it to start, but sounds like mechanical timming to me.
I dunno, backfiring through the carb, or pushing gas through is timming.
You say pushing gas back thru the carb? If it where an intake valve sticking, and pushing compression backwards, I'd still think it would run. What are the valve stem/guide clearances, actually did you have any problems with valve stem's too tight in the guides?

Last edited by kevinkpk; July 26th, 2012 at 6:44 PM.
Old July 26th, 2012, 9:06 PM
Site Ambassador

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double check your valve lash, some might be set too tight. What lash procedure did you follow?
Old July 27th, 2012, 12:23 AM
CF Beginner

I put each cyl on its compression stroke, (both valves seated) then tightened the rocker til the push rod had some resistance then 1/2 turn more. I do not use roller rockers.
Old August 1st, 2012, 1:51 PM
CF Beginner

It turned out to be the one of the weights in the distributer was worn, put in a new one and Voila (Wah-lah!)..... Engine starts and stops whenever i want it to!!!
Old April 8th, 2013, 7:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default Valve Lash Adjustment

Hey guys, when you are ready to do your valve lash adjustments again, check out the new tool on the website below to help you do that. It's a magnetic vinyl strip with graphics that wraps around the harmonic balancer (temporarily) that shows you exactly where the camshaft lobe heels are at such that you can make your valve lash adjustments quickly and accurately.

ValveTrax

I have one for my Camaro Z28 and one for my C6 Corvette, works great! Just thought I'd let you know that something new is out there for valve lash adjustments.