Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Its more then a miss, The engine quits completely

Old May 10th, 2019, 10:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its more then a miss, The engine quits completely

I drive along and the engine shuts down , the tack goes to zero(engine still turning ,Not running) then it pops on again. Runs sweet for a few minutes then shuts down again. Total electrical loss. Well the tack and motor anyway. I'll drive it with everything turned on to see how total the electrical loss is . Any thoughts would be appreciated , thanks. 1987 350 camaro
Old May 11th, 2019, 1:04 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

my brother had an 89 iroc z. he had an electrical issue want to say it was something to do with the connection to the ecm. i would check there first and check your ground connections
Old May 11th, 2019, 10:20 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Irish_alley
my brother had an 89 iroc z. he had an electrical issue want to say it was something to do with the connection to the ecm. i would check there first and check your ground connections
Thanks I'll give it a try
Old May 11th, 2019, 10:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

My 85 Nissan 200sx did this as well. Thought it was the fuel pump; nope! Found that when I gently pushed on the ECM components to stress the circuit board it replicated the problem. I touched a solder gun to all the connections on the area of the board with the problem and has been 100% the last 2 years.
Old May 14th, 2019, 2:24 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
My 85 Nissan 200sx did this as well. Thought it was the fuel pump; nope! Found that when I gently pushed on the ECM components to stress the circuit board it replicated the problem. I touched a solder gun to all the connections on the area of the board with the problem and has been 100% the last 2 years.
Good response, these comments all help.

Search this Thread