Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Low to no oil pressure on a small block 350

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:07 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tgervais
My '98 Z71 is having some problems with the oil as well if anyone can help point me in the right dirrection to get this fixxed. when driving my psi is fine and then when I come to a complete or near complete stop then resume to accelerate my oil pressure drops down to zero, it returns to normal after hitting higher RPM's but could this be a pump or a gauge?
Sounds like oil is sloshing away from pickup screen, have you made sure it's full of oil ? Just maybe pickup screen is loose, JMHO.
david g.
Old February 10th, 2016, 5:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default low oil pressure

Well I have a 1974 350 engine and I had a mechanic change my intake but he said the intake that I got for it would not work so I had him to put it back together and but I never seen him drain the fluid out of intake or engine could that be my problem on low oil pressure. When I first start it the oil pressure is about 40 percent and after about 20 minutes it's down to 5 % to none need help
Old February 10th, 2016, 8:27 PM
CF Veteran

if the oil pressure was OK before you might have some old gasket or sludge that was dislodged when pulled the intake sucked up into the oil pump pickup .you might have to pull the oil pan to be sure .