Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.
View Poll Results: Not sure
Will I have to change wiring harness
0%
Is it gonna be expensive
0%
Will the tranny line up
0%
Will motor mounts line up
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Motor swap

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2022, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor swap

Hey guys I'm not much of a Chevy guy but my old lady is wanting a Tahoe I found a 2000 Chevy Tahoe with the 5.3 L v8 and 2wd automatic transmission but it has a blown motor and now I have also found a motor but I would like to know what kinda trouble I'm gonna have with the swap the motor I found when I looked it up by casting number is a 350 motor made somewhere between 1967-1979 so if anyone can help me with my decision on weather or not I should go through with this or at least give me an idea on the process I'm gonna have to take to do the swap it would be greatly appreciated so thanks in advanced and thanks for reading and helping oh and casting number is 3970016 here is picture of the motor below hopefully I get some knowledgeable info soon to help make my decision

Last edited by Bigdiesel3500; March 13th, 2022 at 1:45 PM.
Old August 17th, 2022, 12:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This post is old enough that I assume the author has already decided what to do.

But for those out there thinking about this swap, it is NOT advisable because the 5.3 Vortech is a better engine and swapping for a junkyard 350 would require major rewiring of the vehicle to accomodate an engine that does not use the same fuel management or mapping or electronics to operate. The ECU in the recipient vehicle is not compatible with a 350 engine from the junkyard. So in my opinion, if you have a blown 5.3 Chevy Vortech motor, you need to find the same engine, preferably the same year of manufacture, for your transplant. Or just rebuild what you have and preserve the matching numbers for the engine and vehicle.

I personally would much rather rebuild the engine because I know what I have on the inside versus a junkyard engine.
The following users liked this post:
rickyralph (February 25th, 2024)