Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

nauticstar87s LY6 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2014, 12:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default nauticstar87s LY6 Build Thread

I have a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 6.0 W/T NNBS that the motor was dying in. I have 123,000 miles on her. What happened... Pistons #5, 7, and 8 broke. Left head got beat to hell. Still ran like a hoss up until I pulled the motor, just had extreme rough idle, and spark plugs were breaking apart inside the cylinder. No pre-detonation, I believe high RPM was the issue. I was not very nice to the ol girl. Last few oil changes were very close to each other, and all very glittery. Only parts I'm keeping are the block and crank, and I'm not 100% about the crank. Getting heads and cam form Texas Speed. Plan on boring the block .030 over, #5 has a nice scratch. I am going to try to post pics as it all goes along, and post the parts I plan on throwing in as decisions are made. Probably going to have a lot more power when it is all said and done then I plan. Taking my block to be machined in the next couple weeks. As soon as I figure out how to post pics, I'll post the damage I have. I will try to be as informative as I can be when all this starts. If any of yall would like to throw advice my way i'll listen. I've rebuilt a few 350s and diesels, never built a motor up before, least not this far.

Update. So far I have a VVT Delete kit, and I ordered LS7 style lifters 12/10/14. Decided on my heads and camshaft. getting Texas Speed 225cc with 68cc bore heads, 233/239 112LSA Camshaft. I'm thinking of a Melling high volume oil pump. Should be getting Mahle forged pistons with relief for the valves. The only thing I am truly unsure of is pushrod length, they come with the heads. Trying to make an educated guess is difficult. I will be checking the length with the proper tool before I just throw the pushrods in. Should be ordering my heads and cam by Febuary. Still haven't had a chance to upload pictures of the damage. I'm only online when I'm at work.

Last edited by nauticstar87; December 10th, 2014 at 9:59 AM. Reason: Update.
Old July 6th, 2015, 11:49 AM
CF Veteran

It's been to long, I have to figure out how to post pics still, I haven't fired up my laptop since November, but i should be able to post some pics when I start putting the 6.0 back together. Now to parts list that I'm throwing at her.
214/228 .559/.571 114 LSA Comp Cam
199-AsCast-BC; Precision Race Components Big Chamber As-Cast 225cc Cathedral cylinder Heads
TSP LS6 Ported Oil Pump
168-LS1340030F04- Mahle Motorsports Powerpak Piston Set: 4.030 bore, -4cc Flat-Top
167-THY-309-S-C Doug Thorley Shortie Headers
36lbs per hour injectors, accel coils, MSD 10mm wires.
Keeping VVT. Texas Speed is doing my Mail Order tune this go round. Not to take anything from Blackbear, they did an amazing job on my original tune, just bought all my parts through Texas Speed mostly. ARP bolt and stud everything. The machine shop is doing my shortblock for me. They are taking their time, but they do good work. Hopefully get it back this weekend, finish the long block out, then next weekend slap her back in the truck. My daily has no A/C, and bad speakers, my Silverado had A/C and one hell of a sound system, I want her back. Hard for me to keep up with the forum anymore than I do for another couple of months. I will update as I can.
Old July 6th, 2015, 2:40 PM
CF Active Member

Sounds good what do you think the final HP/Torque numbers will be?