Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Need advices to get high HP out of a 350

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2010, 7:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Neff
Sorry Sir,but I respectfully disagree with you.Larger C.U. engines will and do produce more output.They accept larger cams easier,have a greater torque output and following the formula for intake runners which is .5 x c.i. needs and accepts larger intake runners that product a greater output.It's the way physics work.It is very much easier for a 383 to get near 400hp over a 350 and still have good idle manors.
you obviously haven't built many motors. i've easily achieved 400hp from 350-355 with great idle and streetability. it is possible, easily, if research and the right combination is used.
Old July 1st, 2010, 9:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxxman04
you obviously haven't built many motors. i've easily achieved 400hp from 350-355 with great idle and streetability. it is possible, easily, if research and the right combination is used.
Actually I have built many,many,engines at work at the machine shop that has a dyno................ over 40 yrs worth. Kind of what I do for a living.
But all I ask is to keep on topic and not attack cred's.What I posted is not personal.

Here is a example:

One stock 350 and run it on a dyno.Then the same cam and heads and stroke it to 383.What do you think happened??.Yepper a greater output and with the stroker kits out there,it most surely the biggest bang for your buck over cr increases,heads,cam,etc for the same 350.Bottom line and for the whole time I've been involved,it costs more to be a giant killer with a smaller engine.

Soooooooooo,please don't let my lack of being around here fool you.Yeah I am that busy.
Old July 1st, 2010, 10:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Neff
Actually I have built many,many,engines at work at the machine shop that has a dyno................ over 40 yrs worth. Kind of what I do for a living.
But all I ask is to keep on topic and not attack cred's.What I posted is not personal.

Here is a example:

One stock 350 and run it on a dyno.Then the same cam and heads and stroke it to 383.What do you think happened??.Yepper a greater output and with the stroker kits out there,it most surely the biggest bang for your buck over cr increases,heads,cam,etc for the same 350.Bottom line and for the whole time I've been involved,it costs more to be a giant killer with a smaller engine.

Soooooooooo,please don't let my lack of being around here fool you.Yeah I am that busy.
um, did i say that more c.i. isn't more power? no. read it right. i stated that more c.i. doesn't always equal more power. i've seen motors bored and stroked that couldn't break 300hp, because of the wrong parts.

my example: a .030 over 350, dished pistons, 76cc heads, small cam, cast iron intake. tell me that this makes over 300. no, it doesn't. my point to the original post was that every part has to be thought out, and work together. otherwise it's a waste of time and money.
Old July 1st, 2010, 7:13 PM
CF Active Member

Id do a 383 with around 10 to 1 CR with a good set of aluminum heads with around 180cc intake runners, A good cam would probably have around 230+ duration @ .050, roller rockers, headers, a good dual plane intake like Edelbrock RPM, And a 750 carb and you should be at 400hp no problem
Old July 2nd, 2010, 7:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by maxxman04
um, did i say that more c.i. isn't more power? no. read it right. i stated that more c.i. doesn't always equal more power. i've seen motors bored and stroked that couldn't break 300hp, because of the wrong parts.

my example: a .030 over 350, dished pistons, 76cc heads, small cam, cast iron intake. tell me that this makes over 300. no, it doesn't. my point to the original post was that every part has to be thought out, and work together. otherwise it's a waste of time and money.

Please explain what you would suggest for a build for this O/P.

Thanks
Old July 4th, 2010, 5:40 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u really want some bang for your buck and want a torky motor get a set of vortec heads, get a cam under .48 total lift (vortec retainers wont let u go bigger) and edelbrock airgap intake keep the stock rockers (in a 4x4 u r building for tork not high rpm screamer) a 600 cfm holly carb and a new distributor (i like msd and they offer great tunability) a set of long tube headers, double roller timing chain, a melling oil pump with a bolted on pickup with machine work and looking for deals your should be able to pull it off for under $1500 bucks the engine wont be the highest horse motor u will see, but it will have oodles of tork and you wont have to upgrade the main caps and bolts to make the engine handle the power
hope this helps