Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Not so much an engine build but, an engine swap

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2018, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not so much an engine build but, an engine swap

i have a 94 gmc 1 ton with a 350 tbi. Engine took a crap so I got a 2000 350 Vortec. Put the engine in, got the gm performance intake put on to run the tbi and rebuilt the throttle body (new injectors and gaskets). The problem I’m having is that I cannot get the engine to run right. It runs very rough and will eventually die while idling. Backfires after letting off the throttle going down the road. And has a CEL for knock sensor circuit. I’ve replaced the sensor and pigtail and have checked the blue wire going to the pcm. I’m also running hooker long tube headers with no egr. If somebody could please help me or point me in the right direction I’d really appreciate it.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 4:57 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by polcyntrevor
i have a 94 gmc 1 ton with a 350 tbi. Engine took a crap so I got a 2000 350 Vortec. Put the engine in, got the gm performance intake put on to run the tbi and rebuilt the throttle body (new injectors and gaskets). The problem I’m having is that I cannot get the engine to run right. It runs very rough and will eventually die while idling. Backfires after letting off the throttle going down the road. And has a CEL for knock sensor circuit. I’ve replaced the sensor and pigtail and have checked the blue wire going to the pcm. I’m also running hooker long tube headers with no egr. If somebody could please help me or point me in the right direction I’d really appreciate it.
What I read is this, it's obd1, with a throttle body. Knock sensor should be ok with , now get this "a proper ecm" for that engine. That my be the issue is your engine and ecm are not compatible. 94 with a 2000 engine the ECM are going to be different. You can look at ebay (ex.) for a compatible ecm already with the eprom, or send the engine id for the eprom to have that engine id
Old April 23rd, 2018, 5:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
What I read is this, it's obd1, with a throttle body. Knock sensor should be ok with , now get this "a proper ecm" for that engine. That my be the issue is your engine and ecm are not compatible. 94 with a 2000 engine the ECM are going to be different. You can look at ebay (ex.) for a compatible ecm already with the eprom, or send the engine id for the eprom to have that engine id
so who or where exactly can I look for a new one (besides eBay) or where is a reputable place to send mine out?