Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

O/D vs D for towing. Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2006, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O/D vs D for towing. Opinions?

I just recently purchased a 1994 Sierra K1500 4x4, 5.7 L. It's primary funtion is for towing my liteweight travel trailer on weekends.

The trailer weighs 2270 lbs, dry. When it's loaded up and I have stuff in the truck box and all set for a weekend camping, the trailer weighs about 2600 lbs and there might be 200 - 300 lbs in the truck box.

The owner's manual says that, when towing a heavy load, I should only use the "Drive" gear, as opposed to the "OverDrive" gear. Says it'll keep the transmission from being damaged. I've been doing that, but my fuel economy is through the roof AWFUL, so I'm REALLY wanting to use the OD gear instead.

Here's my question: Can y'all pass along your opinions on whether or not this truck's transmission is likely to be damaged towing the weight I'm towing while being in OD?

I figure a bunch of you out there probably are familiar with this truck's history and have a good idea on how tough or fragile its transmission is.

Besides, that owner's manual doesn't define "Heavy", so I don't know if my liteweight trailer would qualify or not.

No pressure... just looking for a little advice and opinion so I might make an "informed" decision on whether or not to use OD instead of D.
Old June 21st, 2006, 11:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: O/D vs D for towing. Opinions?

I would think that you could use o/d, that , besides a manual, is really the only tranny offered on most, if not all, trucks. I've never heard of using only drive when towing. Maybe that why GM has tow/haul mode, though.

Take care and God bless,
1ND-hoppe
Old June 22nd, 2006, 4:34 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: O/D vs D for towing. Opinions?

Yeah... MY particular truck year doesn't have that "haul/tow" mode, but I figure all that does is to automatically slip the truck into DRIVE instead of the driver doing it manually, as I have to.

Noticed the other day, as well, that on the driver's side door frame there's yet ANOTHER warning to use DRIVE, not OverDrive when towing/hauling.

Plus, asked a friend (longtime truck owner) his opinion the other day. He proceeded to tell me this horrifying story of when his tranny blew to hell and the big cost for a new one (or repair, whichever it was). He was told that towing in OD was the culprit!!

I think I've seen and heard enough. Between the story and the very evident attempts from GM to sink it into my head NOT to use OD, I think I just won't use OD. Call it a day! [&:]

Thanks for the opinion. Much appreciated.