Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Oil pressure drops

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2017, 8:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

sounds like the engine bearing clearances are excessive...worn out tired motor. only way to know for sure...is a tear down. I'd run the heavy oil until it gives up and find a new motor.
Old December 14th, 2017, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I was thinking. Even at 30 years old the body is solid and many other new parts were installed. Definitely worth a 350 crate motor.
Old December 14th, 2017, 10:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

My 93 with 350k mi has done this for about 100k miles now. At operating temp at idle 5psi, 15-20 on the highway. Changing to 20-50 oil increased readings by 10psi.
Could this also be a bad sender or gauge problem??
Old December 14th, 2017, 11:22 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for reply. The pressure slowly drops to zero or perhaps 1-2 psi (gauge is not graduated so accurately), but never increases once motor has reached operating temp. I assume the oil is still pumping at some pressure somewhere. I'm going to try an oil change to 20/50W tomorrow, I'm pretty sure the gauge works ok but who knows??? I'll drive it and take my chances. A rebuilt crate motor is still cheaper than any used truck that I see for sale. An after market oil pressure gauge may be worth the cost and trouble to install.
Old December 15th, 2017, 3:07 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Low oil pressure with proper viscosity oil, and properly functioning oil pump is indicative of excessive bearing clearances as Tech2 states. When/if you tear down the engine, you can mic the journals, and bearing caps, that will tell you the clearance.
Old December 15th, 2017, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Kevinkpk, I will replace this 305 with a 350 at some point. Not sure how long I can drive this as is but I'm gonna take my chances. I installed 5 qt 20W50 and pressure is slightly better but ultimately gauge pressure is dropping to zero. Any idea on how far I might go before motor noises begin? Nice Olds by the way. Reminds me of a 71 skylark I owned-green with a black vinyl top with a black interior-rust free around back window. Back then they were just everyday vehicles. I could retire early if I had all the vehicles I once owned!
Old December 31st, 2017, 9:22 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As soon as you save enough money, might as well get the 350 installed. It will get you another 200,000 miles. GM makes a nice 350 crate engine for a reasonable price. All brand new.

If you want to keep going with the old one it might last a long time or it might spin a bearing on the interstate at night and you might get to meet whole new bunch of “friends”. LOL

SD