Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Partially rebuilt SBC making strange noises

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2017, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Partially rebuilt SBC making strange noises

Hi there,

I have an older small block chev 350cui V8 mated to a Toyota W55 trans with a Tilton twin plate ceramic 7.25" clutch with a hydraulic throw out bearing.

The gearbox has been fully rebuilt and the clutch, flywheel (805 billet lightened flywheel with 0.100" step as needed for tilton clutch) P.plate and throwout are all brand new.

The motor had a partial rebuild/freshen up about 9 months ago and has sat on the garage floor since then until it went back into the car about 4 weeks ago.

The motor build included:
new cam and crank bearings, New lifters, new push rods, new timing chain and gears.
we left the pistons dangling in the motor and attached everything back onto them without removing or replacing the rings or connecting rods as they all looked to be good.

For the first start the motor was in car but with no gearbox or clutch attached. I unplugged the leads and turned the starter to build oil pressure once I saw about 25PSI on the gauge I plugged them all in and fired it up, the timing was so wrong that a large fireball launched out the carb and it caught fire, I quickly killed power and extinguished the flames with a wet towel over the carb.
I corrected the timing with a timing light and fired her up, she fired easily the first time and run OK I sat it on 2k RPM for 5mins and turned her off - ready for the shop to do final things.

At the shop they installed the clutch, p.plate, throwout and gearbox, further corrected the timing (although it seems more out of time now) when I first went to collect the car after they said they were finished the clutch was overtravelling about 3 inches more foot travel then the tilton needed making it impossible to drive as the bearing was traveling so far into the p.plate forks it was bending them into the first clutch disc. - they hadn't set a floor stop.
obviously I refused to take the car like that, the next week they called back saying its ready to collect, I jumped in and started it, the clutch pedal travel seemed good it started engaging about 1/4" from the pedal stop and pedal movement was about a thrid of what it was the week before.
I drove it home, it seemed OK obviously I was nursing it home under 4k RPM, it seemed to want to start farting and sputtering up higher close to 4k so I cruised.
I noticed quite a loud high pitch hissing/grinding noise coming from the gbox or clutch area during my drive home so once I got back I jacked up the car and noticed the throwout is not releasing off the clutch forks at all - its not pressing hard on them but is resting on them with no bearing clearance at all. I had the car running and thats when I noticed the knock, it has very loud valve noise which is constant and keeps up with the RPM of the motor tick tick tick... but then also a much deeper rumble less sharp not like a metal to metal clank but more of a rubber to metal thud but a spinning thud that comes on intermittently and then goes away for a bit. the strangest part is if its not making the noise and I press the clutch pedal even a slight bit in the deep rumbling noise comes and continues for a short or sometimes long time after the clutch is no longer being touched at all.

after noticing it the engine has become much harder to start and doesnt stay at a consistent idle, I have to keep feathering the gas to keep it running..
The oil pressure is at about 60psi cold at 1k RPM and 45-50 at temp 1k RPM and goes as high as 85psi on rev once warm to 4k RPM.

any advice?
Old November 12th, 2017, 3:08 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default Hmmm...

I hate to say it, but you may have bent a valve (hence your tick-tick-tick) when you "coughed' outta your carb. If your idling rougher, go back to your timing settings. Make sure you're not 180 out because she'll run like that- sputtering at higher rpms and sporadic idles.
Old November 12th, 2017, 3:09 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default Oh yeah...

As far as the 'bump', not 'knocking' sound, it has to be something in your clutch setup.