Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Rebuilding a small block 350. Needing advice

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2019, 3:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding a small block 350. Needing advice

Starting off. I'm just learning alot of things. And I know little, just what I've learned from fixing the truck itself. So please bare with me.

I've got a 95 k1500, 4wd, with a 5.0 305 v8, OBD1. And I'm looking to pull a 350 out of a similar year/make/model truck, strip it, and rebuild it from the ground up. And eventually swap it into my k1500. The 305 runs like a champ, clean, and solid. But its barely has enough power to pull the truck out of a shallow ditch.
Now here's my delimma. When I rebuild said 350, I want to turbo it, for no other reason than I want too in order to have the extra power when/if I need it or want to go play. BUT, I dont want to have to add a bunch of computers and junk. The current idea is to carburet it and have a set turbo, but I'm unsure of the wisdom of this, and if theres better options. My dad who is very experienced in building engines will be helping me, however I thought it might be good to ask a larger group of people. Maybe learn something he might not know.
Old April 8th, 2019, 4:39 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

you have to have a "blow through" carb. in 96 GM changed to the vortec before that was just tbi till 87 then carb. that being said you can build a good motor for around 2k and you used to be able to buy a 350 that puts out 400 hp/tq for a little over 3k.

Fast, Cheap or Reliable you can only pick 2
Old June 8th, 2019, 10:49 AM
dwm
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just inherited a 1997 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 extended cab pickup with the 5.7L (350cu. in) V8 engine with 163,000+ miles on it, and would like to know my options for improving performance during a rebuild project. I live in California, where smog restrictions kill performance of a lot of vehicles, so I don't know what is legally possible, and won't cost me an arm and a leg. I like the truck, and would like to keep it long term (like forever), as it has sentimental value, and meets all my needs for light hauling with space inside the cab for the dogs and my woman in relative comfort. Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but I figured that the original poster would be getting similar answers as mine, if not, please have a moderator move this to a new thread.