Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Rust in cylinder walls??

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2011, 5:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust in cylinder walls??

Hi ,I just got a 305 chev motor from my friend it came out of a 1988 Monte SS .It has about 55,000 miles on it.My question is that the motor was stored outside for many years it was covered and the cylinder wall were oiled up and greased but there is still some surface rust on some of the walls .What is the best way to remove it .I want to use the motor the way it is with out doing a complete rebuild just clean up and regasket it.Should i use sandpaper or ???? Please give me your feedback thanks!
Old March 29th, 2011, 3:00 AM
CF Junior Member

hi,you could try and polish it out with some autosol or something,but it'll never be much good without a rebore i reakon
Old October 24th, 2011, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

The best thing to do is hone the cylinders. You can get a hone at any parts store for about $30 or take it to a machine shop they will do it for about $100
Old October 29th, 2011, 10:36 PM
CF Junior Member

depending on how bad the rust is, you can probably use a 3m scuff pad to remove what you can. Sounds like you don't want to disassemble if you don't have to. if it's just a surface rust then you should be fine using a 3m pad, just make sure to blow it out good when your done cleaning it!