Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

SBC new crate motor, TPI intake mainfold + balancer + pilot bearing

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2018, 4:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SBC new crate motor, TPI intake mainfold + balancer + pilot bearing

Hello,

I bought a new crate motor 12681430 to replace a dead 1988 TPI motor. The old motor was a PHC block code (1988 TBI truck) that was probably converted to old generation TPI (with 9 injector) and with 1992 speed density system. What troubles me is intake mainfold. Since English is not my language i have some problems understanding factory manual, part 2 about counterbored intake mainfold screw holes

I partially understand and clearly can see my outboard and middle holes on heads are counterbored. What troubles me:

1. I ordered a complete set of SBC 1988 TPI all new screws since old ones are mostly stripped. It seems that i will need 1991 screws that are 1/4 longer and im having troubles finding them on eBay

2. I dont understand do i need to use some other gasket or FEL PRO gasket for 1988 TPI i ordered is ok? Or i need new gasket that matches counterbored holes?

3. My old balancer bolt does not fit, and dont have any screw that could fit so i could know what thread is in New crankshaft. Can someone point me what screw i need to order? Shame on GM for installing a balancer but skipping this screw

4. I have TH350, do i need to remove pilot bearing from crankshaft

Any advice welcome. EDIT: missing text on bottom "mainfold side gasket are used"