Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

stock 305 4bbl vs crate 350 question

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2018, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Hello bulldogtt,

I think this YouTube video might help us solve the prob;em with your ignition system. Yes, some ignition control modules were mounted in the engine bay, but it sounds like the original owner decided to mount it on inside your 1985 C-10. This is where some ESCM's were mounted back then, on the passenger side rear of the engine:

The original owner may have replaced it with an aftermarket unit, I am guesssing here, and installed it in the passenger compartment, cutting a hole in the firewall to run the wires. This YouTube video might be of some help in diagnosing your ignition problems too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtbX5MVwVNY
good morning oil can henry
first of all let me say thanks for all the help. as far as the video and the schematic goes this truck is definitely different i found a video that shows the same style as i have mounted in the glovebox. i would assume if the owner moved the original esc that there would be aftermarket differences or a seperate hole just to move it. however the esc i have has the wires running to the driver side loom and come through that way so i'm assuming that it is original. i may have confused you with all the questions what i would like to do is change to the easier option (i know easier isn't always better) here is a link i hope it works to the video i found that might explain my dilemma more
if you can watch the video you will see that it isn't a normal esc and that's why i would like to change it to the option in your video. i have never run into this style before that why i'm a bit hesitant before i try anything. i hope that link works i'm really trying to get this photo and link stuff. i think that gm-chev changed the esc in late 85 early 86 because i used to have an 86 with tbi and it had the esc you showed and my father in law has an 88 with the same. what is making this weird is i have been to the junkers and found the options you showed on 85 for sure trucks and cars basically any 85 305 motor carbureted. sorry if i have confused you makes me sound like i have no idea what i am talking about. anyways thanks again
Old September 17th, 2018, 5:56 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by bulldogtt
good morning oil can henry
first of all let me say thanks for all the help. as far as the video and the schematic goes this truck is definitely different i found a video that shows the same style as i have mounted in the glovebox. i would assume if the owner moved the original esc that there would be aftermarket differences or a seperate hole just to move it. however the esc i have has the wires running to the driver side loom and come through that way so i'm assuming that it is original. i may have confused you with all the questions what i would like to do is change to the easier option (i know easier isn't always better) here is a link i hope it works to the video i found that might explain my dilemma more https://youtu.be/kY0mtqE0Luw if you can watch the video you will see that it isn't a normal esc and that's why i would like to change it to the option in your video. i have never run into this style before that why i'm a bit hesitant before i try anything. i hope that link works i'm really trying to get this photo and link stuff. i think that gm-chev changed the esc in late 85 early 86 because i used to have an 86 with tbi and it had the esc you showed and my father in law has an 88 with the same. what is making this weird is i have been to the junkers and found the options you showed on 85 for sure trucks and cars basically any 85 305 motor carbureted. sorry if i have confused you makes me sound like i have no idea what i am talking about. anyways thanks again
Not at all. Glad I could be of some assistance, buldogtt. Diagnosing issues is 70-80 percent of being a decent gear-head like me. lol. I also noticed the vacuum advance retard valve on the photos, on the firewall. Those were the first things to get thrown away when you got a new smog-loaded car as it was so easy to do! Haven't given those plastic doohickies a thought in years!