Engine Building & Overhauling All you ever wanted to know about building and rebuilding engines in here! Remember to post your model-specific questions in the correct section.

Water Pump Pulley Alignment Issues 327

Old September 19th, 2012, 10:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Pulley Alignment Issues 327

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and would like to say hello. I also have a problem that another member posted about a month ago. I'm working on a 1968 Camaro that I purchased several months ago. The car has not been on the road for 10+ years. After I replaced the water pump, my water pump pulley is about 1/4" off from the crankshaft pulley and alternator. Is this a common problem with aftermarket replacement parts? The member darkbreeze said in his post that he solved his problem by pressing the flange on the shaft to get everything to line up. Is this a good solution and how do press the flange without the shaft moving or damaging any of the internals? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old September 19th, 2012, 10:20 AM
CF Beginner

Default Water Pump Pulley Alignment Issues 327

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and would like to say hello. I also have a problem that another member posted about a month ago. I'm working on a 1968 Camaro that I purchased several months ago. The car has not been on the road for 10+ years. After I replaced the water pump, my water pump pulley is about 1/4" off from the crankshaft pulley and alternator. Is this a common problem with aftermarket replacement parts? The member darkbreeze said in his post that he solved his problem by pressing the flange on the shaft to get everything to line up. Is this a good solution and how do press the flange without the shaft moving or damaging any of the internals? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old September 19th, 2012, 2:28 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Which way is it off? Is it to the engine or away? Is it the proper water pump, as there are differences in them depending on a/c or no a/c.
Old September 19th, 2012, 3:58 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I thought I already commented on this, anyway.
Which way is it off? Is it to the engine or away?...

Which way is it off? Is it to the engine or away? Is it the proper water pump, as there are differences in them depending on a/c or no a/c.
Old September 20th, 2012, 7:46 AM
CF Beginner

Away from the engine.
Thanks,
Old September 20th, 2012, 7:49 AM
CF Beginner

It is away from the engine and it is the correct pump. This is a non a/c car with the short style pump. This new pump is idential to the pump removed. Another member pressed the shaft flange in 1/4" to make his work.
Thanks,
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:41 AM
CF Beginner

From the blade mounting surface to the pump mounting to the surface it has to be 5 5/8 for a v belt small block the pump you have is for serpentine belt and it measures 5 15/16 which makes it about 1/4 off