Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

05 equinox quit moving.

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2017, 11:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 equinox quit moving.

Daughter was driving and the nox quit driving. Towed it home. Rolled when in park. Replaced rear diff. Now the nox drives and backs up, but makes an awful noise when put into park and park at first did not hold, now does. But still makes noise. Could the driveshaft need to be rotated?
Old December 2nd, 2017, 1:13 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Be more specific. The more details you can provide the better.

1) When you say it quit driving, what exactly happened? Did it just quit moving? Did the engine stall? Did the vehicle make any noticeable sounds/noises when this happened? Hopefully, your daughter can answer these questions if you're unsure yourself.

2) "Makes an aweful noise" is too vague. What kind of noise did you hear (i.e. bang, click, knock, etc.) and how loud was it?

3) Why was the rear diff replaced? A bad rear diff shouldn't prevent the vehicle from being driven unless it was completely locked up (not likely).

4) How far did you drive it after replacing the rear diff? There's a big difference between backing it in and out of the garage and driving it around the block.

5) Were you parking the vehicle on a level surface when you heard the noise or were you on a hill?
Old January 20th, 2018, 3:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default 05 equinox quit moving

I have replaced the transaxle and the differential. The car went great for two days. The rear end started grinding/ grating, I checked the oil, drained it and added all new. It still makes the noise. The transaxle goes good, but the parking pawl is broke on this one as well. While checking the rear noise moving it forward and back then into park with my foot on the brake I could hear the parking pawl making noise then it would roll. I have checked the cable which is good. Is there a solenoid for the transaxle that controls the movement so that when you stop the car, the transaxle stops it, can be put in park without the pawl getting broken?

Last edited by bigbill52; January 20th, 2018 at 3:41 PM.
Old February 6th, 2018, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default Repaired

Ok, this is what I found out. I had it towed to the Chevy dealer. They called told me nothing wrong with the Transmission that I had put in the right cv axle had come apart from the stub axle coming out of the transfer case. That was why the parking gear wouldn't work. They ordered a new axle, the stub and cv were replaced with a one piece axle. The new one comes out of the transfer case and goes through the wheel bearing. Equinox is going good again.
Old February 6th, 2018, 6:46 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbill52
Ok, this is what I found out. I had it towed to the Chevy dealer. They called told me nothing wrong with the Transmission that I had put in the right cv axle had come apart from the stub axle coming out of the transfer case. That was why the parking gear wouldn't work. They ordered a new axle, the stub and cv were replaced with a one piece axle. The new one comes out of the transfer case and goes through the wheel bearing. Equinox is going good again.
A broken CV axle is what I suspected. I must apologize because I thought I previously responded to your post, but it must not have uploaded correctly because it's not being shown. GM issued a TSB to address this exact common problem. As you found out, the fix is to replace the original two piece axle design with a newer one piece axle.

EDIT: I was mistaken, I replied to another thread in which the owner seemed to have a similar problem. Link here.

Last edited by ruley73; February 6th, 2018 at 6:51 PM.