Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

07 equinox. coolant sound when accelerate

Old May 17th, 2018, 1:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 equinox. coolant sound when accelerate

Hey all. So I have been trying to figure this out for the last couple months . Every time I press the gas I hear flowing coolant below my dash. I have bled the system multiple times . Even had a professional do it. Still the sound remains. I'm not low on coolant . I have good heat and I have never over heated. I've had multiple shops look at it and I've gotten different remarks. Some say it's normal. Some say clogged heater core . I will mention that a month after I got this suv that I crashed and cracked my ran and then had it replaced right away . I've read things about possible blown head gasket but I'm not losing coolant . No milky oil and good coolant Color . Looking for your advice and opinions. Thanks
Old May 17th, 2018, 8:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

air in the system. It was not vacuum filled after the crash and air is trapped in the heater core. the system must drained and vacuum filled to ensure all the air is evacuated from the system. Vacuum filling a filled system can be difficult if the system uses a non-pressurized reservoir vs a surge tank.

At this point you could try removing the heater core return hose to burp out the trapped air.
with the engine coolant cold..remove the spring clamp and hose...put the hose back on (this ensures it will come of easily when the engine is started). start the engine and pull off the hose to burp out trapped air. reattach the hose and shut down the engine. This will make a huge mess but its something you can try at home if you do not have a vacuum filler.

Last edited by tech2; May 17th, 2018 at 9:23 PM. Reason: spelling burb to burp
Old May 17th, 2018, 9:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply . That's what I was thinking . Trouble is I can't find a shop anywhere that vacume fills
Old May 17th, 2018, 9:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

sad that you gotta go thru so many bad recommendations that make no sense for such a simple issue.
-normal operation; wasn't there before the accident
-head gasket; drives normal, no excess pressure in surge tank, contamination, white smoke
-clogged heater core; good heat output (air in the system can cause no heat at idle but normal heat at higher rpms)

when i was a kid, my dad got tired of paying for shops to do his work so he just started buying the tools. the cost for the tool is near the cost for a shop to do this. You will need an air compressor but you get the idea.
This is what i use but cheaper products are out there.
https://store.snapon.com/Cooling-Sys...--P643141.aspx

Search this Thread