Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Equinox (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equinox-23/)
-   -   08 Chevy Equinox overheating problems, "ENGINE HOT/ A/C OFF" (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equinox-23/08-chevy-equinox-overheating-problems-engine-hot-c-off-91463/)

Colleen December 8th, 2022 12:27 PM

You missed something.

Originally Posted by Frustrated 2007 equinox (Post 485108)
Replaced head gaskets twice, heads once, thermostat 3 times, coolant cap cover, water pump, serpentine belt, ERG valve, and nothing's working still nothing worked
super frustrating

I was reading your updated post and thinking you did everything. There is something you missed something small and fairly cheap. When the shop replaced my head gaskets they replaced my coolant temperature sensor and it's bad. I started my car one morning it was 16 degrees outside and the car had sat for 2 days. I started the car and right away it said engine over heated idle engine. Replace you coolant temperature sensor. Thatay help. The sensor is what tells the car if it's hot or not.

capergrown January 7th, 2023 1:08 PM

08 equinox overheating

Originally Posted by tdwilson (Post 360197)
I have a 2008 Chevy Equinox AWD, 3.4 V6

The weekend before 4th of July my car started having overheating problems it would be fine and then all of a sudden it was overheating and warning alarms were going off and giving me a warning on the dash saying "ENGINE HOT A/C TURNED OFF" and "ENGINE HOT IDLE ENGINE". The first time I got this warning I was waiting in the drive-thru. The second time it happened I was backing into my driveway after driving home from the store which is only 2 maybe 3 miles away. When I stopped and turned off the engine it dumped antifreeze out the overflow, and you could see a trail on the driveway from me backing up. On an important side note my thermostat gauge on my dash hadn't been working correctly for a while; it worked here and there. Sometimes the gauge would read like normal, sometimes it wouldn't read or move up at all and one time it went all the way to the top past the red, but the car wasnt overheating. Also I had been getting a "TRACTION CONTROL OFF/SERVICE STABILITRAK/ STABILTRAK OFF" warning as well.

At this point we changed the thermostat and flushed the system. Still had the same issue. We then changed the coolant temp sensor. Again still the same issue and warnings. Then the serpentine belt was replaced and then the water pump. Still not fixed, all issues are still happening.

So we borrowed a scan tool from a friend to read the codes on my car and it gave 6 codes:

-P0403 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Malfunction
-P0404 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Range/Performance
-P0405 EGR Sensor A Circuit Low
-P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)
-P0455 Evap System Large Leak Detected
-P0469 Purge Flow Sensor Circuit Intermittent

So at this point we ordered the EGR valve as that needed replaced and has seemed to fix the issue on the first 3 codes P0403, P0404, and P0405; I also no longer get the "TRACTION CONTROL OFF/SERVICE STABILITRAK/ STABILTRAK OFF" warning going off and it previously would usually go off within a block or two. But we are still having the overheating issue, we have not driven it to the point to get the overheating warning to go off again though because we don't want to continue to overheat the engine. Although we can let the car run in the driveway for an hour and it won't overheat, we did this several times while trying to bleed all of the air out of the cooling system, and have been able to since the issue started. However if you take it out for a drive you can't really go further than 5 miles without it overheating and getting the alarms and warning on the dash.

We have thought about the possibility of a head gasket the car isn't really showing any signs of it being a head gasket, no white smoke or anything out the tail pipe and the oil is fine, not milky or anything. But could still be a possibility.

Also I'm pretty sure the P0442 and P0455 and possibly the P0469 are going to be covered on a recall on it, I have a letter for it cause my car was a "may be affected by it" list. Cause it had seemed like I had been smelling some gas, so with those codes and the letter I think that's covered and most likely not affecting the overheating issue.

So the following is what we have done:
-Replaced Thermostat
-Flushed cooling system
-Replaced Coolant temperature sensor
-Replaced Serpentine belt
-Replaced Water pump
-Replaced EGR vavle (this fixed the service stabilitrak/ traction control warning)

Also both of my fans are working and kick on. The first one will come on when it hits the halfway mark and then when it starts to to get really hot, the second fan kicks on, so pretty sure I don't have a fan issue.

I'm not really sure where to look and what to check next, PLEASE HELP!

Thank you!

hey the egr codes are only because you started the engine with the vacuum disconnected when u took off the cover I had the same thing and evap is the gas cap that being said I have the same issue I did the thermostat then water pump getting all the air out of these systems are very difficult may take a couple days of burping or bleeding almost like a furnace and since I did the pump o got some heat back and haven't overheated once but not since burping again....I'm thinking the head gasket is leaking but praying it's an air pocket ! Don't order those egr parts it's a waste of mkney! I had the same thing took the codes off looked up what they were and realized cuz they never turned back on since I took them off and made sure the vacuum was plugged back in !

KSJ May 11th, 2023 2:47 PM

08 equinox overheating issue fix

08 equinox, new:
radiator
Thermostat
Water pump
Coolant sensor
Battery
Alternator....
Still overheating, checked manual... Turn heater/defrost on full blast... Not overheating. Odd part is when it was overheating the block was barely warm.... E.G. it wasn't actually overheating.

ruley73 May 11th, 2023 4:32 PM

Originally Posted by KSJ (Post 490456)
08 equinox, new:
radiator
Thermostat
Water pump
Coolant sensor
Battery
Alternator....
Still overheating, checked manual... Turn heater/defrost on full blast... Not overheating. Odd part is when it was overheating the block was barely warm.... E.G. it wasn't actually overheating.

How many miles are on it?

When you say it's overheating what do you mean? Does the temp gauge go too high or are you seeing a message saying it's overheating?

Have you replaced the coolant lid?

After driving it and getting the engine fully warmed up then leaving it sit for a few hours, does the coolant still gurgle up a lot when you remove the lid?

Furlion March 13th, 2024 11:54 AM

This thread pops up on Google when searching for this problem so i just want to relate my solution. I ended up having two separate issues. The first was a partially clogged heater core inlet pipe. I looked up a video on how to flush just the heater core and did a reverse flush. That solved the overheating issue. However i also have an intake manifold gasket leak, so i am slowly losing coolant out of the exhaust. Not enough to cause white smoke, but enough to make my exhaust smell like coolant. Going to try and change that this weekend. Hopefully anyone else running into this same issue can try and do the reverse flush first before they spend a bunch of money on other stuff!

Terdforyourson April 1st, 2024 9:29 PM

Solved

You have to run a 195° thermostat. I put a 180° autozone pos and have had this problem ever since. The computer wants to see 195° after it has been running for a bit. If it doesn’t, it will put the thermostat to 0 and give you the warning you have been seeing. I just solved the issue after over a year. You will have to disconnect the battery to clear the issue after changing the thermostat.

Terdforyourson April 1st, 2024 9:32 PM

Originally Posted by tdwilson (Post 360197)
I have a 2008 Chevy Equinox AWD, 3.4 V6

The weekend before 4th of July my car started having overheating problems it would be fine and then all of a sudden it was overheating and warning alarms were going off and giving me a warning on the dash saying "ENGINE HOT A/C TURNED OFF" and "ENGINE HOT IDLE ENGINE". The first time I got this warning I was waiting in the drive-thru. The second time it happened I was backing into my driveway after driving home from the store which is only 2 maybe 3 miles away. When I stopped and turned off the engine it dumped antifreeze out the overflow, and you could see a trail on the driveway from me backing up. On an important side note my thermostat gauge on my dash hadn't been working correctly for a while; it worked here and there. Sometimes the gauge would read like normal, sometimes it wouldn't read or move up at all and one time it went all the way to the top past the red, but the car wasnt overheating. Also I had been getting a "TRACTION CONTROL OFF/SERVICE STABILITRAK/ STABILTRAK OFF" warning as well.

At this point we changed the thermostat and flushed the system. Still had the same issue. We then changed the coolant temp sensor. Again still the same issue and warnings. Then the serpentine belt was replaced and then the water pump. Still not fixed, all issues are still happening.

So we borrowed a scan tool from a friend to read the codes on my car and it gave 6 codes:

-P0403 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Malfunction
-P0404 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Range/Performance
-P0405 EGR Sensor A Circuit Low
-P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)
-P0455 Evap System Large Leak Detected
-P0469 Purge Flow Sensor Circuit Intermittent

So at this point we ordered the EGR valve as that needed replaced and has seemed to fix the issue on the first 3 codes P0403, P0404, and P0405; I also no longer get the "TRACTION CONTROL OFF/SERVICE STABILITRAK/ STABILTRAK OFF" warning going off and it previously would usually go off within a block or two. But we are still having the overheating issue, we have not driven it to the point to get the overheating warning to go off again though because we don't want to continue to overheat the engine. Although we can let the car run in the driveway for an hour and it won't overheat, we did this several times while trying to bleed all of the air out of the cooling system, and have been able to since the issue started. However if you take it out for a drive you can't really go further than 5 miles without it overheating and getting the alarms and warning on the dash.

We have thought about the possibility of a head gasket the car isn't really showing any signs of it being a head gasket, no white smoke or anything out the tail pipe and the oil is fine, not milky or anything. But could still be a possibility.

Also I'm pretty sure the P0442 and P0455 and possibly the P0469 are going to be covered on a recall on it, I have a letter for it cause my car was a "may be affected by it" list. Cause it had seemed like I had been smelling some gas, so with those codes and the letter I think that's covered and most likely not affecting the overheating issue.

So the following is what we have done:
-Replaced Thermostat
-Flushed cooling system
-Replaced Coolant temperature sensor
-Replaced Serpentine belt
-Replaced Water pump
-Replaced EGR vavle (this fixed the service stabilitrak/ traction control warning)

Also both of my fans are working and kick on. The first one will come on when it hits the halfway mark and then when it starts to to get really hot, the second fan kicks on, so pretty sure I don't have a fan issue.

I'm not really sure where to look and what to check next, PLEASE HELP!

Thank you!

You have to run a 195° thermostat. I put a 180° autozone pos and have had this problem ever since. The computer wants to see 195° after it has been running for a bit. If it doesn’t, it will put the thermostat to 0 and give you the warning you have been seeing. I just solved the issue after over a year. You will have to disconnect the battery to clear the issue after changing the thermostat.