Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2005 Equinox Broken Thermostat Mount

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2019, 7:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Equinox Broken Thermostat Mount

I went to replace the thermostat on my 2005 equinox (2.4L). When taking the top bolt out, I heard a loud pop. Oh how I wish it was the bolt snapping, but it wasn't. The mount broke exposing the inside of the threads on the engine side of the thermostat, not on the hose side. I've been trying to look up diagrams and figure out where exactly this is and which part would need to be replaced, but cannot find it anywhere. Would this be a part of the intake manifold? Or is it part of engine block itself? I'll attach a picture of the broken
part so you can see what I'm talking about.

Broken mount/threads for thermostat on 2005 Chevy equinox.

If someone could answer this question to help me know which part I need to replace that would be great. Or, if you think it would be possible to grind down the remainder of the existing broken threads and weld on a steel block, and then drill and tap it out? But if everything isn't perfect then I would risk it leaking. Any input on this would be helpful. Thanks.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 10:15 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

im not familiar with the 2.4 but i think in most if not all cases the thermostat goes into the intake manifold. but i cant find a good picture of the 2.4, by your picture it looks likes its part of the lower intake and is bolted to the block. option one would be to buy a new one and swap, option two would be take everything off take it to a shop and have them weld it. they have to clean the cast very well so it has to be taken off and the heat will spread very fast. one thing thats working in your favor is theres no needed seal at the welded area so it doesnt have to be perfect just hold the broken piece in place. now as a welded i can tell you that you also have one more option that we dont like and thats to jb weld it. some welders dont like working after someone used JB as its a pain to remove and if its aluminum has to be pure when its welded on. but if it was me i would prob clean it up with brake parts cleaner and use JB. let it setup for over a day. the amount of stuff you have to take off to get the intake off imo would outweigh the thought of using JB not to mention the possibility of breaking something else or something else leaking
PS just saw your comment about welding steel on and that wont work since the broken part is aluminum or some sort of cast, look aluminum but i cant tell from the picture

Last edited by Irish_alley; April 2nd, 2019 at 10:18 AM.