Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2005 Equinox "CD change error"

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2012, 8:15 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Equinox "CD change error"

My cd player recently quit working. It says cd change error and will not eject or change cd's. Anyone know how to fix this or have any recommendations?
Old October 5th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hello mikeymarvin21,

If you were to decide upon taking this into your dealership it would be a good idea to perhaps write down the message(s) you're seeing displayed on your radio. Is this with any CD, or with just burned/store-bought CDs?

Sarah (Assisting Louis), Chevrolet Customer Service
Old October 21st, 2012, 9:22 PM
CF Beginner

At the very least, you have a jammed cd in the changer. Occasionally they 'reset' and work again if you pull the radio fuse for a few minutes. If that doesn't work, remove the stereo, take it apart and when you get to the cd changer part, remove the motor that spins the cd changer then carefully by hand spin the cd changer until you can get all the discs out. If it still doesn't work properly after you put it back together, order a new cd changer from replacementradios.com which is the cheapest way to fix your problem (about $100).
Old October 23rd, 2012, 12:49 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

It has this problem with all my CD's, none of which were burned. All store bought CD's.

How long of a job is it to take apart the dash and get the CD player out? Just a rough estimate, I've installed CD players before, just not in this model and wondering if its worth jumping into this project or taking it in first. I highly doubt the dealer will do anything except try to sell me a new one.
Old October 25th, 2012, 10:43 PM
CF Beginner

I think it took me about an hour to remove the stereo, take it apart, and put it all back together.

You should be able to find out how to remove it with a google search. Basically, pry up the large silver trim piece that goes all the way around the stereo and shifter area, then remove the screws that hold in the stereo.

If you replace the whole stereo, it will cost you a minimum of around $400, no matter whether you get a used one from a junkyard and have Chevy reprogram it for your car, or go aftermarket and have to buy all the necessary adapter cables plus installation. The cheapest way is just buying the cd changer part from replacementradios.com for about $100 IF you can do it yourself without damaging your stereo.

This is the part I used to fix my wife's cd changer in her 05 Equinox.

Equinox - Equinox 2005+ new Delco CD6 6CD CD 6 drive mechanism
Old October 25th, 2012, 10:49 PM
CF Beginner

It also looks like they have a repair service if you don't feel comfortable taking apart the stereo yourself. all you have to do is remove the whole stereo and send it to them, although I would contact them first to make sure they will repair your specific stereo.

GM - CD6 Mechanism Replacement Repair (Most 2005-2008 GM radios)