Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Equinox ABS/Traction Control Issues

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2013, 6:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry 2006 Equinox ABS/Traction Control Issues

I have a 2006 Equinox that the ABS/Traction Control light keeps coming on. The brakes make a pulsating/grinding noise until the light comes on. I am also hearing what sounds like a vibration/humming noise.
I have read about replacing the Front Wheel Bearing/ABS Hubs but don't want to do if that's not the issue.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike

Last edited by Mike8Able; July 22nd, 2013 at 7:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
caslaw63 (February 1st, 2022)
Old July 22nd, 2013, 6:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the brakes are grinding at all, that should be your biggest concern! You're way past time to replace the pads, and will probably need to replace rotors too. This can easily affect the ABS functionality as well.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 7:30 PM
CF Beginner

I just replaced the Pads and Rotors less than 10K ago.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 8:45 PM
CF Beginner

Then maybe I'm misunderstanding your "grinding" sound... is it coming from one specific rotor, all of them, at speed, when braking? Are you saying the noise goes away when the light comes on?
Old September 15th, 2013, 10:47 PM
CF Beginner

Mike, I also have a 2006 Equinox and I am have also had these same issues. I replaced brakes on all tires and the front left and rear right wheel bearings. I also put new rotors on the front as well as new rear brake drums. Still having the same issues. I had a friend of mine who is a GM Mechanic and he told me to replace the (Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit). Since then I've had no issues with the grinding or ABS and T/C lights coming on. Get it diagnosed to see which (Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit) is giving you problems and replace it with a new Circuit it should fix the problems all around. a New Circuit runs about $50-$70 but you can get it diagnosed for free at a Advanced Auto Parts.
Old September 18th, 2013, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2006 AWD Equinox with 91,000 miles. When I come to a normal stop either going backward or forward, the brakes moan or groan and the brake pedal pushes back a little. It is not a grinding noise and the ABS light or T/C light does not come on, thus no codes. I checked the brake pads in the front and the brake shoes in the back and they have 80% left. The rotors were replaced 14,000 miles ago and look smooth. It seems like when I press on the brakes hard, they do not moan or groan. Any ideas what needs to be replaced? Thanks.
Old September 18th, 2013, 3:52 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hello,

I am sorry to hear you all are having this concern. I would like to look further into this for you. If you would like to have your GM dealership look into this concern please let us know. We can assist you and the dealership. Please be sure to send us a private message including your name, VIN, phone number, and the name of your GM dealership.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 19th, 2013, 9:21 AM
CF Beginner

OK, first of all I would like to start of by saying from what I have found this is a HUGE Safety issue that GM NEEDS to recall and correct!! I as well have replaced both front Wheel Hubs, Pads and Rotors replaced and it didn't fix a thing. The problem is with one of three components: The wheel speed sensor, wiring harness from the sensor to the ABS module or the module itself. My next option is to replace the wiring harness from the sensor to the module. That should run about $30 for the part. The reason I state of a safety recall concern is that at times when you press the brake it is hard as a rock and you CANNOT STOP!!. GM, you should step up to a faulty design and own it!!. This is also happening on the Ponitac Torrent, Saturn Vue and as well the Equinox, all within the same years.

Any question, I can elaborate much much more!!!
Old October 3rd, 2014, 3:33 PM
CF Beginner

Angry 2006 Equinox with ABS/TC issues

I have a 2006 equinox with ABS and Traction Control issues. It has been serviced by two different GM dealers, however, they cannot correct the issue. They replaced the hub & the wheel speed sensor, however, is still the same. Since I have seen many blogs and forums regarding the same issue with the equinox, I have filed a complaint with GM Customer Service and with the National Highway Transportation Safety Agency @ https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml. I hope to resolve this issue soon.
Old October 6th, 2019, 6:28 AM
CF Beginner

Smile

Originally Posted by Mike8Able
I have a 2006 Equinox that the ABS/Traction Control light keeps coming on. The brakes make a pulsating/grinding noise until the light comes on. I am also hearing what sounds like a vibration/humming noise.
I have read about replacing the Front Wheel Bearing/ABS Hubs but don't want to do if that's not the issue.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike
I would change the wheel bearing!

Quick Reply: 2006 Equinox ABS/Traction Control Issues