Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Equinox Blend door(air temp door)

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2009, 7:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Equinox Blend door(air temp door)

Need to replace door
What do I need to take off?

Is it a BIG job
thnx
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

I need know this as well, someone please help us.
Old November 8th, 2009, 12:12 AM
CF Beginner

Pretty much your looking at a 2 to 3 day job, You have to remove the Dash, the instrument panel, the stereo, both trim pieces on side of shifter, the glove box, both trim pieces that run parallel from the dash to the roof liner, Most of removing all of the pieces are simple just take your time be patient and use something plastic preferrably so you dont ruin the soft das or plastic pieces, there are bolts and screws you will need to remove, Then after all is removed and unpluged (Disconnect Batterie Leads Before Unplugging wire harness's) you should be able to gain access to the heater box (usually Black) as well as the Blower housing, I have removed everything all the way to the heater Housing, I will Post more tomorrow as I go through the process.

Good Luck!

Jeremy
Old January 8th, 2010, 5:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default Chevguy4ever Rocks!!!

Hey man, thanks for jumping on the grenade of this subject, please keep us posted of progress/ difficulties/ explanations, etc..etc..

I have the same problem and will be tackling it in the near future.
Old February 6th, 2010, 10:13 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2006 Equinox air blend door

apparently this has become quite an issue for equinox owners you can visit:

http://www.topix.com

to see how many folks are posting about this problem. Chevrolet dealership shops want anywhere from $75 to $100 to bring the car in and "diagnose" the problem then it will cost anywhere from just over $1,000 to $1,500 to get them to fix it.
One post even claims that Chevrolet was trying to "redesign" the system because of the failure so my question is this.

Why does the consumer have to pay for something that is obviously a problem in numerous amounts of these cars?

Where can I go to find legal help because we just do not have $1,500 laying around to fix the problem and my wife needs a dependable car to drive to work because she works at a hospital...not something that lots of people are complaining about the same problem with
Old February 8th, 2010, 4:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default Hmm....

Originally Posted by virgo27298
apparently this has become quite an issue for equinox owners you can visit:

http://www.topix.com

to see how many folks are posting about this problem. Chevrolet dealership shops want anywhere from $75 to $100 to bring the car in and "diagnose" the problem then it will cost anywhere from just over $1,000 to $1,500 to get them to fix it.
One post even claims that Chevrolet was trying to "redesign" the system because of the failure so my question is this.

Why does the consumer have to pay for something that is obviously a problem in numerous amounts of these cars?

Where can I go to find legal help because we just do not have $1,500 laying around to fix the problem and my wife needs a dependable car to drive to work because she works at a hospital...not something that lots of people are complaining about the same problem with
Well If You Really want to go through all the trouble with the court system and the lawyers and all that your going to spend ALOT more money then you would to get the damn thing fixed!!!!
Old February 8th, 2010, 4:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default Replacing The Blend Door in The Equinox Heater Housing Unit.

Yeah It is a Big Job but anyone who can pick up a wrench/Ratchet and is mechanically inclined and can remember where each bolt, nut, sensor, wire harness goes then this should be nothing but another easy repair it is Just time consuming and it takes patients as well as concentration, I Completed the Job in 24 hours... Yeah its a BIG Job but its not that hard and the reason the dealer is charging so much is because the Job is a big Job and it takes A lot of time....., So to thoes who want to actually try to go and attempt to sue GM go ahead your just wasting your time being a whiner!! Everyone on this thread has or will complete the Job without an independent dealer doing the work and saving about 2,000 dollars!!! So Congratz to Everyone Who Manned Up On this Job it was not a horrible task that everyone makes it out to be its just time consuming .... !! Anyone that needs help Feel free to Email me with questions, JDJ2719@Gmail.com!!

Ciao!
Old February 9th, 2010, 4:13 AM
CF Beginner

Default R E Whinner 2006 Equinox

I am so sorry that I am not rich enough to buy my wife another car in order for me to personally tear out her dash and take 2-3 days to fix the problem.

There are consumer advocate boards such as the FTC or the NHTSA to file complaints and if they get enough complaints, they can force a recall. It is dangerous to drive a vehicle without the heating system functioning properly and it should not have to come down to people crashing their cars because they can not afford a $1,500 repair. (I don't know about you, but I have been unemployed for 2 years and just got a job only making the same amount I was drawing in unemployment...we are behind on all of our credit cards, taxes and bills.....if they do not fix this car, we will simply return it and have to deal with the credit crap...I have already turned in one vehicle on my credit and have bad credit because ot it)

Why should the average Joe have to pay $200 for a plastic wheel that costs about 35 cents to manufacture then spend 2-3 days doing the job when it should be up to General Motors to "man up" (as the words you used) and admit there is a safety issue with these cars heating systems failing because of an inferior plastic part. Or for that part have to take the car to the dealership and pay around $100 to "diagnose" the problem then up to $1,500 to have the car fixed.

Excuse me for being poor! A$$wipe
Old February 9th, 2010, 10:43 PM
CF Junior Member

This isn't the first GM model to have a problem like this. I built prototype HVAC systems for GM. When the Lumina Van came out they had a similar problem with the lever on one of the heater doors. I din't remember which one but I had to work on the "fixes" that the engineers came up with. I came up with a simple fix that didn't require the removal of the unit and submitted it as a suggestion. The engineer had such a HUGE ego that he couldn't swallow, wouldn't approve the fix because he didn't think of it. We spent weeks building alternatives, all which required replacing the door and lever. I hate to think how much the warranty claims cost us for that.
BTW, I have an 07 that seems to be out of adjustment, too. I get a lot of defrost bleed on the heat setting. Annoying, but I won't let a dealer tear the dash apart.
Old February 10th, 2010, 4:11 AM
CF Beginner

We have no heat at all in ours and that seems to be the general con-census with GM owners. This is a safety issue and should be dealt with by GM fixing the problem without me having to take out another loan LOL I mean really $1,500 to replace a little wheel that costs about $2.00 to make

Quick Reply: 2006 Equinox Blend door(air temp door)