Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Equinox Blend door(air temp door)

Old February 13th, 2010, 7:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same problem with '06 Equinox

This problem I have had since I have owned this vehicle. It use to be covered under the warranty policy but now I am stuck fixing it myself. Sound like a challange, which I am always up for. There something positive on my end though; I live in south Florida . Doesn't get cold here but 10 days a year......put on some clothes!
Old February 14th, 2010, 5:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R E Florida person

Some of us do not have the luxury of living in Florida. In places where you have morning dew (even if it is not frozen) or ice on the windshield, it is a safety issue with the vehicle not being safe to drive because you are not able to remove the ice from the windshield. So before anyone says "JUST WIPE (OR SCRAPE) IT OFF". When you start out on your journey it MAY fog (or frost) over a second time thereby causing you to have to constantly wipe the windshield off.
This is a dangerous maneuver because you are supposed to be concentrating on your driving and not using a towel to constantly wipe fog or ice from the car.
It is a safety issue that GM needs to address and repair on ALL of their vehicles.
Old February 15th, 2010, 5:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by virgo27298
Some of us do not have the luxury of living in Florida. In places where you have morning dew (even if it is not frozen) or ice on the windshield, it is a safety issue with the vehicle not being safe to drive because you are not able to remove the ice from the windshield. So before anyone says "JUST WIPE (OR SCRAPE) IT OFF". When you start out on your journey it MAY fog (or frost) over a second time thereby causing you to have to constantly wipe the windshield off.
This is a dangerous maneuver because you are supposed to be concentrating on your driving and not using a towel to constantly wipe fog or ice from the car.
It is a safety issue that GM needs to address and repair on ALL of their vehicles.
You are absolutely right! Living down here is south florida is not a luxury by all means. Looks to me we are having the same problem with this vehicle, where is the luxury in that? My family is cold, my windows do fog, and we even had a spell and very cold weather down here with icing.

In no way was my post to negate anyone. I do empathize with everyone in this regard. As others I can only hope that GM will rectify this issue with this vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
Yadira Noriega-Madrid (December 7th, 2020)
Old February 16th, 2010, 4:26 AM
CF Beginner

Default Florida

I did not mean to sound bad and I apologize.

I just feel like they are recalling these foreign vehicles, why can't they recall these GM cars that have faulty parts?

This is my wifes car and it is the only car she has. It is not fair to us to be at the mercy of GM and pay to get something fixed that is a defect in most GM cars.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 6:56 PM
CF Beginner

Default I did the job last year

I actually performed this last year on my 2006 Equinox. I am somewhat handy. It took me 12 hours to take apart/repair and 13 hrs to put back together!! Remeber if the wiring goes over or under the dash bar. I got it reveresed which set me back 3hrs. The hardest part was getting the sealed "black box" where the flap is located apart.

1. remove all components under the dash near steering
2. remove radio covers and radio, all connectors are different, you can't mix and match.
3. pull up on the top panel closet to the window. Once you pull up and out of the brackets, you will need to feel underneath for the security light and twist out of the holder...good luck....especially puttin back!!!
4. remove the dash underneath that black panel, there is a hidden bolt and screw on passenger side, look through the windshield closely to find it. Another tought one
5. remove the entire steel dash bar
6. drop the steering column down, quite simple. #5 and #6 might be reversed.
7 Now you see the "black box"
8. Things get tougher. the entire box MUST come out. Look under the hood at the firewall, you will see bolts that hold the "black box" remove. you also need to remove the tube clips on the the shiney silver steel pipes. this will allow the black box to be pulled away from the dash.
9. Now, the back part of the box will remain, only the front part comes out. Feel at the top back of the blk box, there are 3 or 4 small screws. What I did was bend my very small wrench so that I could remove the screws, there is no room for an upright motion.

10. Pull apart from firewall, and replace the flap and the faulty motor that caused the flap to over turn.

11. Make sure your wife never ever turns the heat to FULL HOT, always stay one back.

It was last year, this was based on memory. I have pics if you need them.
Old February 24th, 2010, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default 1200 to fix

Hello all. Here's a story to make you feel a little better...

I live in Mass, and the heater failed when I was on the highway doing 65mph in a sleet storm. Windshield fogged up, (of course) and I could not see thru it. had to roll down the side window and drive like a mainiac with my head hanging outside. My head was frozen with ice forming on my hair. Must have been funny to see. Not so funny to live thru.

Brought it to the shop, and 1200 bucks to fix the blend door. Ugh.

I just put in a complaint thru the NHSTA website. Everyone who had this blend door failure happen to them, I would politely suggest to do the same complaint report.

Take it easy everyone.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 9:06 PM
CF Beginner

virgo27298, I read you posts and was shocked to see how this jerk "ChevGuy4Ever" responded to you. You are right about you assertions. GM as well as all manufacturers make mistakes that end up costing the consumer. Hopefully, you were able to get your problem corrected by this time and hopefully this arrogant jerk that actually thinks he is inteligent, that popped off at you is no longer on here and is standing in some unemployment line somewhere by now.
Old December 4th, 2010, 5:24 PM
CF Beginner

Why ****in Whine about something thats not going to get you anywhere??? "Virgo" deserved what I said he sits there and whines about someone being in flordia about me.... Come On!!! HOW OLD ARE WE NOW???? Fix the job it takes 12 hours or less depending on how fast you can move and buy the acctuator door for 20$ instead of paying the dealer $1,500 - $3,000!
And FYI I own 3 of my own company's! So I dont have to use some lame *** excuse that I cant find a job to be lazy and be on unemployment!!!!
You might want to watch your words b4 you type ! Because I helped more people on this forum then Alot of people including you and your crybaby friend!!! so go have a pity party together!

Originally Posted by relgibds
virgo27298, I read you posts and was shocked to see how this jerk "ChevGuy4Ever" responded to you. You are right about you assertions. GM as well as all manufacturers make mistakes that end up costing the consumer. Hopefully, you were able to get your problem corrected by this time and hopefully this arrogant jerk that actually thinks he is inteligent, that popped off at you is no longer on here and is standing in some unemployment line somewhere by now.
Old December 4th, 2010, 5:25 PM
CF Beginner

LOL Reminds me of jim carry!!! Glad your back in business and its fixed.
Originally Posted by Curadh
Hello all. Here's a story to make you feel a little better...

I live in Mass, and the heater failed when I was on the highway doing 65mph in a sleet storm. Windshield fogged up, (of course) and I could not see thru it. had to roll down the side window and drive like a mainiac with my head hanging outside. My head was frozen with ice forming on my hair. Must have been funny to see. Not so funny to live thru.

Brought it to the shop, and 1200 bucks to fix the blend door. Ugh.

I just put in a complaint thru the NHSTA website. Everyone who had this blend door failure happen to them, I would politely suggest to do the same complaint report.

Take it easy everyone.
Old November 14th, 2011, 7:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default GM Chevrolet Equinox Defrost Failure

I have a 2006 Chevy Equinox and my air temperature blend door has failed.

This is a manufacturer's defect. The problem impacts the ability of the car to defrost. As noted in a letter from GM's Director of Product Investigations and Safety to the NHTSA on December 23, 2009, the 2010 Equinox was recalled since a manufacturer’s defect resulted in non-operational defrost systems that was a safety concern, could result in a crash, and violated federal motor vehicle safety standard 103. In other words, GM has admitted on another vehicle that manufacturer’s defects that cause in-operable defrost systems are their responsibility to replace.
Just to update

I have contacted transport Canada and pursued the appropriate action to have the 2006 Chevy Equinox recalled for safety reasons on the advice of Janee from GM's Customer service.
I will also pursue an investigation and potential class action based on accidents that may have been a result of this issue if Transport Canada and GM fail to take timely action.

As winter approaches, the safety of Chevrolet Equinox drivers are at stake. Not having the ability to defrost your windshield could lead to traffic accidents vehicle damage, injury and possible death. I am writing this blog to make more Chevrolet Equinox drivers aware of the manufacturer defect.

I am an engineer familiar with the defect and have the opinion that the problem is either an over torquing actuator resulting in fatigue of the temperature blend door.

Please email me at: equinoxrecall@gmail.com

I would like to form a group for potential class action as GM has failed to acknowledge the manufacture defect.

Please see the following link to see the damaged part.

How To Fix A No-Heat Problem In A 2006 Chevy Equinox - Removing Dashboard To Replace Air Blend Door

Please also read about a current class action against GM

Chevy Impala Owners File Class Action Lawsuit Against GM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 Equinox Blend door(air temp door)