Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 equinox heating up and nether fan will kick in.

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2012, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 equinox heating up and nether fan will kick in.

i have a 2006 equinox. it started heating up and nether fan will kick in. can you tell me whats wrong? thanks
Old July 25th, 2012, 8:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

check the fuses for the cooling fans in the underhood fuse block.
Old July 25th, 2012, 10:12 PM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

If the fuses are good, check the temperature sending unit. One fan turns on when the temp rises above a certain level. The other one turns on when the A/C is on.
Old July 25th, 2012, 10:49 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
If the fuses are good, check the temperature sending unit. One fan turns on when the temp rises above a certain level. The other one turns on when the A/C is on.
Just for clarification, a temperature sending unit is only used for fan control. Most GM vehicles since the mid-1990s have a single (engine) coolant temp sensor which provides the ECM with a temp reading which the ECM then uses to provide a temp gauge reading, regulate fuel mixture, and manage the cooling fan(s).

What does the temp gauge indicate when the engine is warmed up? Do the fans turn on when you turn on the A/C? Without the A/C being turned on, on our 2007 Equinox the gauge needs to get to at least the half mark before the ECM will activate both fans at low speed. The temp gauge on our Equinox rarely gets to the half mark. In the four years we have had it, I can probably count on one hand how many times the fans have turned on without the A/C being turned on.
Old July 26th, 2012, 12:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on this eguinox we let the temp gauge get almost in the red still neither fan would work

Last edited by missy; July 26th, 2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old July 27th, 2012, 8:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Is it running that hot at highway speeds? If yes, you have bigger cooling system problems than cooling fans. At this speed fan operation is irrelevant.

The fans should be turning on low speed at 96 C and high at 102 C. Fan operation is controlled through the pcm. Check for dtc's first. If none are present check the low and high cooling fan fuses in the underhood fuse box. If they are ok check the low, high and s/p cooling fan relays.

Last edited by tech2; July 27th, 2012 at 8:14 PM.
Old August 18th, 2012, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 with fans not running at idle, temp very near red

Reading what is already posted, I have a problem with knowing if relays are good or not. They look fine? Where is temp sending unit and how do I check or temporarily by-pass to see if that is the problem?

Thanks for any help!

Kentucky Kyle

UPDATE-After seeing where one guy wiggled the wires at the fan I tried it and they both came on. What, if anything, do these connections have to do with the air compressor kicking on?

Last edited by kylerob70; August 18th, 2012 at 1:41 PM. Reason: New info
Old August 18th, 2012, 1:16 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by kylerob70
Reading what is already posted, I have a problem with knowing if relays are good or not. They look fine? Where is temp sending unit and how do I check or temporarily by-pass to see if that is the problem?

Thanks for any help!

Kentucky Kyle
This is how I check the coil. With the circuit energized, pull the relay out, and back in you should feel the coil pick up, and contacts transfer. That however is not checking the contacts. if you have a voltmeter, put on lead on each side of the wires that go to the contact. if that part of the circuit is energized, and the contact is open, you will read battery voltage on the meter. If the contacts close, you will read 0 volts.
Old September 5th, 2012, 10:18 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife's 2007 had the same cooling problem. I replace many fuses until I figured out that it was all 3 fan relays that needed to be replaced.
Old September 7th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

We're glad to hear that you found the course of the cooling concern you had been having, Sonicd! Many more happy miles!

Sarah (Assisting Louis), Chevrolet Customer Service

Quick Reply: 2006 equinox heating up and nether fan will kick in.