Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2006 Equinox stalls with no warning

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2012, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Equinox stalls with no warning

help. My 06 equinox stalls without warning. Doesnt matter if Im on the freeway at 65, in town at 35 or at a stop light. Yesterday it stalled in the middle of a busy rode, not safe. I took it in and there are no codes. HELP?? I dont know what to do. Ive seen TSBs relating to the issue..
Old January 19th, 2012, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. What does stalling mean to you? The engine stops with the accelerator depressed, while coming to a stop, while traveling at a constant speed, while in stop, etc., these are all "stalling" one way or another. What indicators are lit in the I/P cluster after it stalls and you've pulled over with key still on?
Old January 20th, 2012, 2:04 PM
CF Beginner

yes to all of the above. the check engine light and the low engine power (?) I think they called it. I was able to get OnStar to run a diagnostic this morning and took it into the dealer to replace the ECM. The codes sent this morning were consistant with that being the problem. After 650.00 I'll let you know if it in fact resolves the issue.
Old January 20th, 2012, 5:21 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> lazetteh1,

I'm sorry to hear of your frustration with your Equinox.

You stated that you are taking the vehicle into the dealer for repair. Please keep us posted on the results

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 22nd, 2012, 11:15 PM
CF Beginner

was able to get a diagnosis from OnStar when it stalled.. it was throwing codes P0601, P0606, C0241 and U0101 .. replaced the PCM and it has (so far) resolved the problem.
although it cost me almost 600.00. There was a TSB for this exact issue for 2005 .. I believe mine should have been covered as well.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 11:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear. Thanks for the update.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Default Did this work?

Hi Lazetteh1,
Did replacing the PCM fix this issue for you? I am experiencing the same problem, same year. AWD. Before I have it replaced wanted to see if this resolved your issue.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by lazetteh1
was able to get a diagnosis from OnStar when it stalled.. it was throwing codes P0601, P0606, C0241 and U0101 .. replaced the PCM and it has (so far) resolved the problem.
although it cost me almost 600.00. There was a TSB for this exact issue for 2005 .. I believe mine should have been covered as well.
Old May 30th, 2012, 1:08 PM
CF Beginner

yes it has resolved my issue .. good luck
and if anyone figures out how to get Chevy/GM to pay for it let me know.
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

Default cost?

I looked up the price of a "refurbed" PCM and it costs about $280.00 after you return the core......are you telling me that the dealership charged you nearly $350.00 to program the PCM? I located the PCM on the vehicle and it would take 5 minutes to switch out.....it couldn't have been the "difficult labor" involved?!?! I can't stand stealerships! But you have to have it programmed?

Sorry you hear about this problem on many other vehicles. Someone is going to be killed, then their "GM" (government managed) butts will pay for it!

Dana

Originally Posted by lazetteh1
yes it has resolved my issue .. good luck
and if anyone figures out how to get Chevy/GM to pay for it let me know.
Old June 5th, 2012, 5:01 PM
CF Beginner

apparently yes they have to program it .. and I agree someone is going to get killed. My 10 year old and I were in a very dangerous curve on a busy street the last time it stalled .. it was very scary. I do not believe that this is "normal maintenance" and should have definitly been covered by the manufacturer.

Quick Reply: 2006 Equinox stalls with no warning