Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2007 Chevy Equinox Brake Pedal goes to the Floor

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2018, 5:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2007 Chevy Equinox Brake Pedal goes to the Floor

Hey Everyone,

Yesterday I started having problems with my brakes. I was going downhill on a steep hill and had to come to a complete stop at a light. It was raining pretty bad here in Oahu at the time and the roads were pretty wet. I wasn't going fast or stopping suddenly, but I think what happened was that as I stopped, the wetness of the road caused the car to slide about an inch. When this happened the brake pedal sort of vibrated under my foot and the car slowly moved forward a few inches. (I thought this might have been the antilock brake system kicking in but I don't really know).

Afterward, the brakes felt wrong. If I press on the brake pedal, the car starts to slow, but then the resistance on the pedal goes away and I have to press the pedal to the floor in order to brake.

I don't have a lot of experience as a mechanic. I've replaced my own brakes. Water pumps, alternators, etc. I think my biggest job was replacing the struts on my old Lexus. Can anyone here give me an idea of what's going on and if I might be able to fix it myself? (Money is pretty tight, I don't think I can afford a mechanic unless it's a pretty cheap fix).

From my own research, my guess is that the Brake master cylinder might be going out? Am I in the right ballpark?

I tried taking off the brake fluid cap and pumping the brakes but saw no movement in the fluid at all while I and a friend did this.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have for me!
Old March 25th, 2018, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

confirm your not losing any brake fluid.
does the pedal get hard or not get deep/come up when the pedal is pumped? If no change when pumping the pedal and no abs codes are set...i would start with a master cylinder.

bench bleed the new mc before installation.
Old March 26th, 2018, 1:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not losing any brake fluid.

The pedal will get hard when driving if you pump it repeatedly.

What's the best way to bleed the brakes on that model?
Old March 26th, 2018, 8:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

yes, try to bleed first.
the best method is to perform a manual bleed followed by a abs system bleed which requires a scan tool.
without a scan tool a manual bleed is all you can do
-have someone pump up the pedal 3x and hold( not fast pumps or it can create air...let the mc fill/return for 0.5 second between pumps
-open the right rear bleeder..repeat
-check fluid level
-then do the left front
-then left rear
then right front.