Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2007 Equinox 3.4L - Can You Identify Part/Location

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2016, 2:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 Equinox 3.4L - Can You Identify Part/Location

Good Afternoon,

We've had our Chevy for a three years now on mainland US and figured it still had enough life in it to ship it down here a year ago.

Just had a replacement engine cooling fan and motor put into our 'trusty steed' down here in the USVI a week ago. Cost a pretty penny too but I thought that the guy had done a fair job...........until..........

...........this morning as my better half drove off in it this morning I briefly noticed a wire/lead with a 'plug' on the end of it hanging down below the front end of the vehicle just underneath the newly fitted parts....some coincidence huh?

Obviously I need to get underneath (?) and see where this came from and why.

Have attached a couple of images in the hope that some of you good people might identify the lead and give advice on where it goes.

It probably goes without saying, but I will anyway, I am not mechanically minded but can follow a manual and/or a youtube video to get a lot of basic things..........others I have to call in the cavalry......and down here that's a lottery, hence this posting!

So over to you more knowledgeable people for sensible advice for which I thank you in advance!

ps. The liquid pool underneath in the images is condensation, in case any one's wondering, we're currently 'suffering; about 92 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 Equinox 3.4L - Can You Identify Part/Location-img_0850.jpg   2007 Equinox 3.4L - Can You Identify Part/Location-img_0851-1-.jpg   2007 Equinox 3.4L - Can You Identify Part/Location-img_0852-1-.jpg   2007 Equinox 3.4L - Can You Identify Part/Location-img_0853-1-.jpg   2007 Equinox 3.4L - Can You Identify Part/Location-img_0854-1-.jpg  

Old April 7th, 2016, 5:39 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

It's hard to tell exactly what part it is because the pictures are out of focus. However, I'm pretty sure that's the ambient air temperature sensor. If so, the harness going to it should contain two wires. One is light green with a black stripe and the other is yellow. The sensor attaches to the top side of the bumper cover on the passenger side near the bottom of the vehicle. If you look between the air dam and the back side of the bumper cover from underneath you should be able to see where it attaches. There are two different variants of this sensor. One attaches to a small plastic piece which is held in place by a push rivet (as shown in picture below). The other attaches directly to the bumper cover without the extra plastic part. The part you have appears to be the latter.

Name:  ambient air temp sensor location1.PNG
Views: 16055
Size:  81.6 KB

Last edited by ruley73; April 7th, 2016 at 5:43 PM.
Old April 7th, 2016, 10:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree looks like an ambient air temp sensor to me
Old April 8th, 2016, 6:47 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ruley73
It's hard to tell exactly what part it is because the pictures are out of focus. However, I'm pretty sure that's the ambient air temperature sensor. If so, the harness going to it should contain two wires. One is light green with a black stripe and the other is yellow. The sensor attaches to the top side of the bumper cover on the passenger side near the bottom of the vehicle. If you look between the air dam and the back side of the bumper cover from underneath you should be able to see where it attaches. There are two different variants of this sensor. One attaches to a small plastic piece which is held in place by a push rivet (as shown in picture below). The other attaches directly to the bumper cover without the extra plastic part. The part you have appears to be the latter.

Attachment 8896
Thank you for that ruley73, that would figure with the location, recent work done, etc and shape of part, and (of course!) thanks for providing the much needed schematic diagram too. Will get on it this morning and revert to let you know whether I have managed to fix. (With apologies for out of focus images!)

Last edited by nicksurfer; April 8th, 2016 at 6:49 AM.
Old April 8th, 2016, 6:48 AM
CF Beginner

thanks to you too cleveland63b, as per my response to ruley73 above. Cheers.
Old April 8th, 2016, 7:25 AM
CF Beginner

Gentlemen..........done and dusted! Thanks for the speedy and accurate input ruley73,
Finally, a quick question.........where did you get the schematic from?
Old April 8th, 2016, 6:31 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by nicksurfer
Gentlemen..........done and dusted! Thanks for the speedy and accurate input ruley73,
Finally, a quick question.........where did you get the schematic from?
I have a membership with my local library. They have an online auto repair database that contains documentation which is comparable to factory service manuals.