Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2008 Equinox sport timing chain problem

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2015, 5:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I will give that a shot. It's sad they didn't extend the warranty on this issue for the Equinox Sport as they have for the Acadia's and Vues with the same engine.
Old January 15th, 2015, 6:56 AM
CF Beginner

The most recently dated TSB #12-06-01-009E includes 2008 - 2012 Chevrolet Equinox (RPOs LY7, LF1, LFW) I believe all are variants of the 60 degree "High Feature" V6 engine family. It is listed on the front of the bulletin under Models. From my viewpoint, the fact that the earlier bulletin did not list the Equinox was due too someone who generates the bulletins not recognizing that the HF V6 was used in all of these applications.
Old January 15th, 2015, 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

thank you for all the great advise. I opened a case with GM customer care. They said that my dealer will contact me between 24-48 hours and offer me the repair with some possible help from GM. That was four days ago and we didn't hear from anyone. I will call them again tomorrow and mention the TSB. Again, thank you all!
Mike
Old March 2nd, 2016, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2008 Chevy Equinox timing chain issue

Hi everyone,
I just came back from the dealership and they told me I need a new timing chain on my 2008 Chevy Equinox sport. The guy at the dealership told me this shouldn't be an issue because I only have 59k miles on it. I did research and found that this is a big issue right now. Has anyone else had an issue with this? I called GM and they told me there is nothing they can do to help (the cost to fix is $2k) while doing research I noticed the Buick Enclave, Chevy Traverse, and the GMC Acadia all got extended coverage for this issue...why not the Chevy Equinox Sport?? It has the same issue and codes (p0008) and the same engine and timing chain. If you are having issues with this did GM ever resolve it? If you are having this issue make a complaint to the National Highway transportation safety administration. The answer GM gave me was "there wasn't enough complaints about this. Please call 1877-327-4236 and put a complaint. This isn't fair that they didn't include us in the extended warranty having the same engine and same issues as the others.
Old March 18th, 2016, 5:49 AM
CF Beginner

Default Timed out in LG

I bought my Sport new in 2009 with only 203 miles on it. I have paid for 2 timing chain replacement in 14 mos. The first was partial pay, as still under warranty, however 11,432 miles later had MAJOR issues with engine, and dealer said timing chains had gone bad again, but not covered under warranty as was a couple days over 12mo, 12,000 warranty. WHAT!!!????!!!
Since 1st repair, I have had to pay to replace ECM, numerous sensors, the shifter assy, due to a bad sensor, and now dealer is saying engine is full of sludge, and is due to bad oil used, or neglect on maintenance. I have every invoice for service, and ALL has been done at dealer based on maint. recommendation by them, and NEVER went more than 5,000 between service, even tho they said I didn't need to do. They want $800 to fix this. The BBB will not help us, and first contact to GM rep has produced nothing. I am mad beyond words!

Originally Posted by Sanyvan
Hi everyone,
I just came back from the dealership and they told me I need a new timing chain on my 2008 Chevy Equinox sport. The guy at the dealership told me this shouldn't be an issue because I only have 59k miles on it. I did research and found that this is a big issue right now. Has anyone else had an issue with this? I called GM and they told me there is nothing they can do to help (the cost to fix is $2k) while doing research I noticed the Buick Enclave, Chevy Traverse, and the GMC Acadia all got extended coverage for this issue...why not the Chevy Equinox Sport?? It has the same issue and codes (p0008) and the same engine and timing chain. If you are having issues with this did GM ever resolve it? If you are having this issue make a complaint to the National Highway transportation safety administration. The answer GM gave me was "there wasn't enough complaints about this. Please call 1877-327-4236 and put a complaint. This isn't fair that they didn't include us in the extended warranty having the same engine and same issues as the others.
Old April 27th, 2016, 10:57 AM
CF Beginner

Default Having same timing chain issue with my '08

getting the same p00008 code - timing chain - on my 2008 Chevy Equinox. Has 78,000 miles. Going to get it fixed through Chevy because I don't have a choose but going to file a complaint. My mechanic (not Chevy) said there is a class action lawsuit regarding this issue so if I get it fixed through them there is hope I'll get some or al of my money back. Fingers crossed. Crock of sh*t if you ask me. Timing belts should NOT be going out and if they are covering it for some they should cover it for all cars.
Originally Posted by Sanyvan
Hi everyone,
Old June 28th, 2016, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

I was wondering what if anything you have been able to find out? The exact same thing has happened to my 2010 equinox, and I was told the same thing "trade it in " by the dealership today. My car only has 75 thousand miles on it and their telling me that there's other things wrong with the motor, that its basically shot.
Old June 28th, 2016, 11:53 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by bellabrewer13
I was wondering what if anything you have been able to find out? The exact same thing has happened to my 2010 equinox, and I was told the same thing "trade it in " by the dealership today. My car only has 75 thousand miles on it and their telling me that there's other things wrong with the motor, that its basically shot.
A 2010 Equinox has nothing in common with a 2008 Equinox. They have completely different engines & transmissions so any info in this thread will be of little use to you.
Old July 18th, 2016, 5:57 AM
CF Beginner

Default timed out in LG

Hello all. I still have my 08 Sport. I have paid out of pocket to repair the timing chains now 2 times. I have had to replace the shifter assy, ECM, several sensors, and most recently broke down due to low oil pressure, and had to be towed back to the dealer. This right after the 2nd timing chain repair. They pull the oil pan and cleaned out "gunk" from what they said was caused by cheap oil. Up until this point ALL of my service work has been done at the dealership, so it is their "cheap" oil that is in my car. What is worse is that they never advised me of what the repair would be, just called and said it's done, and I owe them $889.00!!!!!
I took my Sport to an independent repair shop for my next service, and when they went to pull my dipstick to check my oil level, they could not get it out. End result was that I had to replace the dipstick and tube assy, since the dealer put the oil pan back on my car without removing the dip stick. When they did this they bent the dip stick over, and I am lucky that so far, nothing else is damaged from this.
I have been a GM customer for more than 25 years, and have purchased 6 vehicles from this dealership. We are now researching a different car for me, and I can guarantee you I will NEVER buy another GM vehicle again! They have no LOYALTY to their customers, and after their financial problems in 2009 & 2010, and we the public standing by them to help bring them out of their hole, you would think they would be a little more concerned about us! Shame on you GM, maybe you should have just gone under.

Originally Posted by bellabrewer13
Old May 31st, 2019, 5:38 PM
CF Beginner

I work at a Chevrolet dealership. My 2008 Equinox Sport, with 97,000 miles on it, check engine light came on. I was told it needed timing chains. So being an employee, it cost me around $1500.00 to get this done. For about a year, the vehicle ran like a champ! I love the car.

At around 125,000 miles, I noticed a lack of power and the check engine light came back on. I was told that low oil pressure cause the timing chain tensioner to loosen the one bank chain and the chain must have jumped. Has anyone heard of such a thing?