Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Equinox (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equinox-23/)
-   -   2008 Equinox Tire Pressure Light (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equinox-23/2008-equinox-tire-pressure-light-95547/)

Old Ford May 17th, 2019 6:00 PM

2008 Equinox Tire Pressure Light

Hello everyone. New here trying to find some help for a tire pressure light that will not reset on my 2008 Equinox. The tire pressure sensors will follow the teach location procedure fine. All four sensors are correctly reading air pressure. The tire pressure light is still on the dash. I plug in my code reader and do not get any error codes. I checked the spare to be sure there was no sensor in the spare. I went to the tire shop and we changed one sensor that didn't look quite right. Went through the learn position process again and the tech couldn't get the dash light to go off either. I am hoping someone here can help me with something else to test or try. Any help is appreciated.

tech2 May 17th, 2019 9:05 PM

what is the code?
if the light is flashing...there is a system problem. If the light is on solid...the pressures are low.

Old Ford May 17th, 2019 9:16 PM

Lite is not flashing, on solid. All tire pressures are reading on the dash correctly. Checked against my gauge and the tire shops' gauge. I have ran them down to 30 and up to 35 trying to get the light to go off. I have done the teach mode two or three times. The tire shop tried to reset the system with their machine but couldn't. Then they disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. Didn't fix it. The only code I have on the truck is for an air bag seat sensor. No codes for the tire pressure.

tech2 May 17th, 2019 10:16 PM

what are you using to read codes? a code reader won't do it. a scan tool that can access chassis codes is required.

Old Ford May 17th, 2019 10:24 PM

Topdon Elite CAN

TOPDON Elite CAN TOPDON Elite OBD2 Scanner ABS/SRS Diagnostic Tool for Full OBD2 Functions and ABS/SRS Warning Light Turn-off with Built-in DTC Lookup

ruley73 May 18th, 2019 4:09 AM

Originally Posted by tech2 (Post 428236)
what is the code?
if the light is flashing...there is a system problem. If the light is on solid...the pressures are low.

The owners manual states: "The TPMS malfunction indicator is combined with the low tire pressure telltale. When the system detects a malfunction, the telltale will flash for approximately one minute and then remain continuously illuminated. This sequence will continue upon subsequent vehicle start-ups as long as the malfunction exists."

A corresponding warning message is also displayed in the DIC with the tire pressure light. If you see the "SERVICE TIRE MONITOR SYSTEM" message, a you have a TPMS system fault. If you see the "CHECK TIRE PRESSURE" message, one or more of your tires needs more air.

Disconnecting the battery for only ten minutes usually will not reset any codes on a newer vehicle. ECUs nowadays are purposely built to retain memory during a temporary power loss (e.g. when replacing the battery).

Lastly, if the remaining TPMS sensors are still the factory-installed sensors, the built-in batteries are probably dead as they are only designed to last up to 10 years. This may cause some intermittent issues for obvious reasons. The batteries are built into the sensors and are not serviceable. As a result, the entire sensor must be replaced when the battery is depleted.

Old Ford May 18th, 2019 7:25 AM

Originally Posted by ruley73 (Post 428250)
The owners manual states: "The TPMS malfunction indicator is combined with the low tire pressure telltale. When the system detects a malfunction, the telltale will flash for approximately one minute and then remain continuously illuminated. This sequence will continue upon subsequent vehicle start-ups as long as the malfunction exists."

A corresponding warning message is also displayed in the DIC with the tire pressure light. If you see the "SERVICE TIRE MONITOR SYSTEM" message, a you have a TPMS system fault. If you see the "CHECK TIRE PRESSURE" message, one or more of your tires needs more air.

Disconnecting the battery for only ten minutes usually will not reset any codes on a newer vehicle. ECUs nowadays are purposely built to retain memory during a temporary power loss (e.g. when replacing the battery).

Lastly, if the remaining TPMS sensors are still the factory-installed sensors, the built-in batteries are probably dead as they are only designed to last up to 10 years. This may cause some intermittent issues for obvious reasons. The batteries are built into the sensors and are not serviceable. As a result, the entire sensor must be replaced when the battery is depleted.

Thanks for the reply. 3 of the 4 sensors are orgional to the truck. The thing that makes me scratch my head if it is the batteries, which it very well maybe, is the fact they all still go through the teach procedure and all still read the air pressure correctly.

ruley73 May 18th, 2019 7:48 AM

Originally Posted by Old Ford (Post 428251)
Thanks for the reply. 3 of the 4 sensors are orgional to the truck. The thing that makes me scratch my head if it is the batteries, which it very well maybe, is the fact they all still go through the teach procedure and all still read the air pressure correctly.

Low power and digital communication always cause a lot of head scratching. Computers do weird things when they don't have enough electricity to function as designed. That's the easiest way to explain it.

As a computer guy myself, I know that people usually want an exact explanation regarding the cause of their computer problem. A lot of the time I don't know the exact cause. I just know when X happens, Z is the solution.

Replace the other three sensors. 😃