Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Equinox (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equinox-23/)
-   -   2008 Equinox Traction control stabilitrak warning/ reduced engine power (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equinox-23/2008-equinox-traction-control-stabilitrak-warning-reduced-engine-power-89764/)

kw7399 April 3rd, 2018 2:39 PM

2008 Equinox Traction control stabilitrak warning/ reduced engine power

I just bought this 2008 Equinox about 3 months ago. It has 137,000 miles on it. I have since had to replace the transmission and the EVAP purge solenoid. Now I have this other issue with the stabilitrak warning/ tractions control system needs serviced/ reduced engine power as well as what looks like smoke coming from the brakes. When I took it to get serviced, of course all of these warning signs go away and I can't replicate. I leave the mechanic and same thing happens. It feels as though I am driving with the brakes on. Took it back to mechanic and could not replicate again. This is my 16 year olds car and I am very concerned that if it happens while he is driving, he will get in a wreck. I really want to just get rid of it but I have already put $4000 on top of what I paid. Does anyone have any fixes for this extremely terrified single Mom who is afraid to let her kid drive this thing anymore?

ruley73 April 3rd, 2018 5:17 PM

Originally Posted by kw7399 (Post 355145)
I just bought this 2008 Equinox about 3 months ago. It has 137,000 miles on it. I have since had to replace the transmission and the EVAP purge solenoid. Now I have this other issue with the stabilitrak warning/ tractions control system needs serviced/ reduced engine power as well as what looks like smoke coming from the brakes. When I took it to get serviced, of course all of these warning signs go away and I can't replicate. I leave the mechanic and same thing happens. It feels as though I am driving with the brakes on. Took it back to mechanic and could not replicate again. This is my 16 year olds car and I am very concerned that if it happens while he is driving, he will get in a wreck. I really want to just get rid of it but I have already put $4000 on top of what I paid. Does anyone have any fixes for this extremely terrified single Mom who is afraid to let her kid drive this thing anymore?

Which engine does it have? Is it the 3.6L (Sport) or the 3400 (all others - LS/LT/LTZ)?

Smoking brakes means they are not releasing. This is usually caused by bad brake hoses or caliper pins that aren't properly lubricated with high temp brake grease.

kw7399 April 3rd, 2018 5:53 PM

Reply to engine size

It is 3.6L Sport.

ruley73 April 3rd, 2018 6:54 PM

Originally Posted by kw7399 (Post 355155)
It is 3.6L Sport.

I was thinking it would be due to the transmission replacement. Get the car scanned with a good code scanner that can also retrieve ABS codes and post the codes on here. It might not hurt to get the battery & alternator tested if you haven't had that done yet.

The reduced power message indicates a powertrain fault. The powertrain fault could also cause ABS & Stabilitrak to be disabled, so there's a chance all the warning messages are caused by the same issue.

kw7399 April 3rd, 2018 7:15 PM

Originally Posted by ruley73 (Post 355156)
I was thinking it would be due to the transmission replacement. Get the car scanned with a good code scanner that can also retrieve ABS codes and post the codes on here. It might not hurt to get the battery & alternator tested if you haven't had that done yet.

The reduced power message indicates a powertrain fault. The powertrain fault could also cause ABS & Stabilitrak to be disabled, so there's a chance all the warning messages are caused by the same issue.

it has no check engine warning codes. The only codes that could be pulled was for the traction control system/stabilitrak turned off. I did have it towed to check the transmission and everything came back fine. It acts as though the brakes have been put on as I'm driving. Which is what I think cause the brakes to smoke. It has not done it again but I'm really hesitant to let my 16 year old to get back in it.

Moses1000 May 15th, 2018 8:26 PM

I have a 2008 and it felt like someone was pumping the brake at speeds of 45 to 50! Turns out the spark plug in the no 3 psotion was cracked and misfiring! Fixed that now abs sensor went out. Cant trust any repair shop these days!